Skillet Chicken and White Wine Mushrooms is a fast and easy dinner recipe. Tender chicken thighs with a white wine mushroom sauce that has no cream!
Happy Monday! Today I am bringing you this easy Skillet Chicken and White Wine Mushroom recipe that is a perfect weeknight dinner. It seems fancy, but it actually is very simple and can be thrown together pretty quickly. In fact, the first time I made this recipe it was one of those situations where we opened the fridge, grabbed the few ingredients we had and came up with this. My parents were visiting for Christmas and we needed to feed them (and us) between all the running around holiday merry making.
Because we were so busy at the time, I forgot to write down the recipe, so I have spent the last few weeks recreating it. Isn’t it funny how you can just throw a bunch of ingredients into a pan and come up with a fabulous recipe, but when you are actually TRYING to make the same thing it is nearly impossible to duplicate? After a few tries we finally were able to create a doppelgänger recipe.
Most of the recipes for chicken and mushrooms are for a creamy sauce, which sounds delicious, but since my mother is dairy-free I wanted to make this without cream or dairy of any kind. I’m sure a little cream would be great here, and maybe I will post another recipe down the line with a creamy sauce. But honestly, we didn’t miss it, and the sauce is fabulous on its own!
I like to dry sautee mushrooms before using them in most recipes, and I did that here. It is one extra step but in my opinion it is well worth it. Mushrooms contain a large amount of water, and this allows the water to evaporate and concentrates the flavor. The main reason I used to dislike mushrooms was because of the texture, but this will give the mushrooms a much better texture, and also take on more flavor from the sauce.
I made a little video to go along with the recipes, check it out!
Skillet Chicken and White Wine Mushrooms
Yield 4 Servings
Skillet Chicken and White wine Mushrooms is a fast and easy dinner recipe. Juicy Chicken thighs with a white wine mushroom sauce that has no cream!
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup white wine
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, divided
- Pat dry chicken thighs, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until they have released all of their water and are starting to brown, up to 10 minutes.. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When oil is hot, add the chicken thighs and allow to sear, undisturbed for about 5 minutes. When chicken easily releases from pan, flip and cook 5 minutes more. Cook until chicken is cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Wipe out pan and return it to medium heat. Add the butter. When melted, add the onion, season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened and starting to turn golden, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn.
- Add the mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of thyme, then add the chicken broth and wine. Stir and scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 2 more minutes, or until sauce has reduced.
- Finish with the remaining tablespoon of thyme and season with more salt and pepper if desired.