Egg Roll In a Bowl is a quick and healthy weeknight dinner that will satisfy your takeout cravings! All the delicious flavors of an egg roll in a low carb, keto friendly, easy 20 minute recipe!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!
Hello, welcome to one of my favorite super easy weeknight dinner recipes. This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is for those nights that you have no time and you need a healthy dinner fast! I like to use a short cut to make this even faster and easier – a bag of coleslaw mix! My favorite is the Cruciferous Crunch from Trader Joe’s, but you can use whatever kind you like. Or you can slice up your own cabbage if you prefer.
What is an egg roll in a bowl?
Egg roll in a bowl is essentially the filling of an eggroll, without the wrapper. Ditching the fried wrapper makes this a healthy option, and it also makes this a super fast and easy recipe! Ground turkey, cabbage, onions, carrots, and a delicious asian inspired sauce make this a flavorful, veggie and protein packed meal.
The eggroll in a bowl is pretty popular on the internet. I first heard about if from my friend Alyssa at Everyday Maven. She brilliantly uses a spiralizer to prepare her vegatables, and also makes her recipe totally paleo. When I started making this recipe, I found a shortcut that makes it so super simple that I just had to share – using bagged coleslaw mix. This has become my go to recipe for nights I have no idea what to make and honestly would rather not cook at all, but still want a healthy meal for myself and my family.
What ingredients are used for Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Eggroll in a bowl usually has ground meat, vegetables, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
For this healthy egg roll in a bowl, I used ground turkey – but you can use ground chicken, pork or beef – whatever you have on hand!
While the meat is browning, I mix up a quick sauce with just a few ingredients – low sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, garlic and ginger. It’s hard to believe that such a simple sauce can taste so good – but it really does!
How do you make egg roll in a bowl?
For this eggroll in a bowl recipe, all you need to do is brown the meat, mix up the sauce, saute some onions and open a bag of coleslaw mix. Dump the coleslaw mix ( I also bought some shredded carrots to add), add the cooked meat back to the pan with the sauce, That is it! You are done. I garnished mine with sesame seeds and some green onion, but that is totally optional.
Can Egg Roll in a bowl be made ahead of time?
Egg Roll in a Bowl is a great meal prep recipe because it keeps very well in the fridge. I like to make it on Sundays and portion it out for my lunches during the week. It usually stays good in the fridge for 3-4 days at least, depending on the freshness of your starting ingredients.
If you love this recipe, you will also love these easy dinner recipes!
- 10 oz bag coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cups Carrots shredded
- ½ onion thinly sliced
- 16 oz Ground turkey
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 TBSP Ginger root, grated
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds optional, for garnish
- 3 green onions, green parts only thinly sliced, optional, for garnish
- Brown turkey in a large skillet over medium heat. Once cooked, remove meat from pan, drain excess fat.
- Meanwhile, mix the sauce. Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chili garlic sauce. Set aside.
- Return pan to heat, add oil. Once oil is hot, add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, until softening.
- Add the coleslaw mix and carrots to the pan. Carefully stir to combine with the onion. Continue to cook, stirring often, until soft and wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the meat back to the pan, pour in sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring until everything is well combined.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, serve.