This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is so moist that it tastes like cake! Everyone will love this classic banana bread recipe.
Why you will love this chocolate chip banana bread
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe is super easy to make and is a treat the whole family loves. My son loves this for an after school snack, it makes a decadent breakfast, and also a great hostess gift. It doesn’t require a mixer or any fancy equipment.
Tips for making the best moist chocolate chip banana bread
- Use very ripe bananas. Make sure the peels are mostly brown and spotty. The ripe bananas are important for moisture and sweetness.
- Measure correctly – When measuring flour, be sure to “scoop and level“. This means to use a spoon to scoop flour into the measuring cup, then use the flat end of the spoon (or a knife) to level it off. This prevents you from compacting too much flour into a measuring cup, which could result in dense or dry banana bread.
- Use Greek yogurt – it adds moisture and the natural acidity reacts with the baking soda to help the banana bread rise.
- Don’t overmix! When combining the wet and dry ingredients, stir until just mixed. Overmixing will lead to tough and dry banana bread. It’s better to mix by hand rather than use a mixer.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Very ripe bananas – make sure they are brown and spotty, and very soft.
- Melted butter – using melted butter contributes to the moisture and flavor
- Brown Sugar – brown sugar makes this banana bread super moist
- Granulated sugar – helps with moisture and flavor
- Eggs – help with structure and rise
- Vanilla extract – vanilla makes all baked goods better!
- Greek yogurt – adds moisture and acidity
- All-purpose flour – I have not tested this with other types of flour
- Baking soda – this is what makes the banana bread rise
- Salt – to balance the sweetness
- Cinnamon – adds another layer of flavor
- Chocolate chips – Takes this classic banana bread to the next level
How to make banana bread
- Adjust oven rack to center position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×5 pan with cooking spray.
- Mash the bananas
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a second bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with 3/4 cups of chocolate chips.
- Stir until just mixed, do not overmix the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle remining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.
How long to bake banana bread
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 55 minutes.
Bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out with just a few crumbs.
Allow to cool on a cooling rack slightly, then remove from pan and cool another 30 minutes before slicing. Allow to cool completely before wrapping for storage.
Instead of Greek yogurt, you can use sour cream or regular yogurt.
You can use oil instead of butter – but I think butter has better flavor. You can also use vegan butter.
How to Store Banana Bread
Store at room temperature wrapped in plastic wrap or in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
Can you Freeze banana Bread?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag, freeze for up to 3 months.
More Recipes you will love
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan well with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. Add the butter, eggs, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until completely smooth and combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips, gently fold together until just mixed. Do not overmix the batter.
- Pour the bread batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle remining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack and continue to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.