This Beef and Broccoli is better than takeout! Make this easy Beef and Broccoli at home in under thirty minutes! Find out my secret tip to make the beef extra tender.
Raise your hand if you are a big fan of Chinese food! Well, friends, I sure am, and if you are too I have a recipe for you. Easy Beef and Broccoli that you can make at home in about 30 minutes! And even better – this is just as good, if not BETTER than the Beef and Broccoli you pick up at your local take out place. Here is how to make the Best Beef and Broccoli at home.
How do you make Chinese Beef and Broccoli?
Making Beef and Broccoli is actually quite simple. One trick will make this taste just like the beef and broccoli you get at your favorite Chinese place. Whisk together a quick marinade of oyster sauce, cornstarch, water and baking soda. Yes, baking soda! It seems odd, but this will result in more tender meat.
While the beef sits in the marinade, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. We are using soy sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, cornstarch and beef stock. With stir fries it is best to have your sauce ready to go since everything cooks so fast.
The cooking process is quick. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. You want it hot enough to brown the meat without over cooking it. Add the beef – it is best to cook the meat in batches so you don’t over crowd the pan. When the meat is done, return all of it to the pan. Add the broccoli and sauce, then cover. Allow the broccoli to cook for a few minutes. And that is it! I like to serve this over rice – it would be great with my Coconut Rice!
What meat is used for Beef and Broccoli?
For this Beef and Broccoli Recipe we are using Flank Steak. Flank Steak is very flavorful and best cooked quickly. It is also relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
What is the Sauce for Beef and Broccoli?
The sauce for this Beef and Broccoli uses ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. Soy sauce, brown sugar, beef broth, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and cornstarch. It is quick and easy to whisk together while the beef is marinating.
Beef and BroccoliPrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 TBSP oyster sauce
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- 1 TBSP Water
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- Slice the flank steak thinly against the grain. in a large bowl, whisk together the 1 TBSP of oyster sauce, 1 TBSP corn starch, 1 TBSP water and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Add the sliced meat and toss to fully coat, set aside.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 TBSP canola oil (or oil of choice). When oil is hot, add the flank steak. You may need to work in batches to avoid crowding the pan. Cook until beef is browned on the bottom, about two minutes. Stir and continue cooking until beef is browned, 2-3 more minutes.
- Add broccoli and sauce to pan, stir to coat everything, and cover. Allow to cook until broccoli is bright green crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir again to coat in sauce and serve.
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country