This healthier Orange Sesame Shrimp is a quick and flavorful weeknight dinner! Shrimp and broccoli tossed in a slightly sweet and spicy orange sesame sauce comes together in no time!
Oh hey everyone. How was the weekend? Mine was pretty awesome, actually. My mom has been visiting me, and we made the drive down to our old hometown of Eugene, Oregon. I got to spend the weekend with my best girls and get some nostalgia in the town I moved away from five years ago. If you follow me on snapchat (add me by searching: foxandbriar) you saw some of the fun and food going on, and oh yes, the wine. After the weekend filled with so much of that I am feeling the need for some healthier options this week. This healthier Orange Sesame Shrimp is at the top of my list.
I have mentioned before that I love to keep shrimp in my freezer for quick and healthy weeknight dinners. I prefer the raw, peeled, tail on shrimp. Buying them already peeled saves prep time, but uncooked is better so that you don’t end up with rubbery, overcooked shrimp. I love that you can thaw them in a few minutes under running water, and they only take a few minutes to cook as well. Frozen shrimp are the unsung hero of quick weeknight meals.
This Orange Sesame Shrimp is a quick and flavorful weeknight meal with a slightly sweet and spicy sauce that comes together in under half an hour.
All the prep this meal requires is thawing some shrimp (or not even that if you bought fresh shrimp), chopping up some broccoli, whisking together the sesame orange sauce and about 10 minutes of cook time. Oh, and you can make some rice to serve it with if you want (I like it with rice, or you can make cauliflower rice if you are going the low carb route). While you are cooking the shrimp and broccoli, the sauce is heated and reduced, then everything is tossed together and you are ready to eat!
What were you all up to this weekend? Do you ever go back to your old hometown, or do you still live there? What is visiting like for you?
Orange Sesame Shrimp
- 3/4 pounds shrimp raw, tail on
- 1 pound broccoli cut into florets
- 4 green onions diced, white and green parts separated
- sesame seeds optional, for garnish
For Sesame Orange Sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients for Sesame Orange Sauce in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until reduced by about half.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Quickly sear the shrimp, about 2 minutes per side, until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add the broccoli to the pan and just enough water to barely cover the bottom of the pan (a few tablespoons). Cover pan and let the broccoli steam until crisp tender and bright green, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, white parts of the green onion and the orange sesame sauce back to the pan with the broccoli. Toss together over heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve garnished with the green parts of the green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
Tools I used for this recipe (affiliate links):
If you like this you may also like…
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission (at no cost to you). For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!