This Baked Sweet Chili Garlic Salmon will be your favorite way to eat salmon! This quick and easy baked salmon recipe only takes 20 minutes and is packed with sweet, tangy and spicy Asian flavors that will become a family dinner favorite.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!
BEST BAKED SALMON RECIPE
Who loves Wild Alaskan Salmon? 🙋 Honestly, I’m sort of a salmon snob after growing up in Alaska and having access to tons of fresh fish. The truth is there is NO comparison, and I can’t bring myself to buy farmed salmon anymore. Now, some people may consider this Baked Sweet Chili Garlic Salmon recipe an affront to good salmon (i.e. Mr. Briar) – many people feel that good salmon shouldn’t be covered up with other flavors. Although I can appreciate a great piece of simply well cooked salmon, with nothing more than some lemon and salt, I do like to mix it up and add some different flavors in now and then.
A HEALTHY BAKED SALMON RECIPE
One of my favorite ways to prepare salmon is with an Asian inspired, sweet and spicy sauce. Sweet chili sauce, garlic, ginger, and honey all work together to make this a delicious flavor party. Oh, and did I mention it takes less than 20 minutes to make this salmon? One of the easiest weeknight dinners, not to mention impressive! And of course, salmon has tons of health benefits. Salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B-12 and protein. Eating salmon can even reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer! I can’t think of any reason why you shouldn’t make this Baked Sweet Chili Garlic Salmon for dinner tonight!
HOW TO BAKE SALMON
Baking salmon is so easy – if you are intimidated by salmon, don’t be! Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, bake the salmon for 12-15 minutes. The most important thing to remember is DON’T OVERCOOK THE SALMON! Overcooked salmon is a tragedy. Salmon cooks pretty fast, so it is best to keep an eye on it.
HOW LONG TO BAKE SALMON IN THE OVEN
I usually set my timer for 12 minutes, then check on it and let it cook a few more minutes if needed. A salmon filet rarely needs longer than 15 minutes unless it is very thick. A quick trick for knowing if your salmon is done is if it flakes easily with a fork. When it does, you know it is done! If you are worried about underdone salmon, you can also use a meat thermometer to take the internal temperature of the salmon. The FDA recommends cooking the salmon to 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Are you a fan of salmon? What is your favorite way to make it?
Sweet Chili Garlic Salmon
- 1 pounds sockeye Salmon wild caught
- sesame seeds for garnish optional
- green onions sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F, prepare a baking sheet by covering it with foil for easy cleanup.
- Whisk together ingredients for sauce. Place the salmon on the baking sheet and pour 1/3 of the sauce over the fish. Use a brush to cover the surface with sauce, reserve the remaining sauce for later (don't contaminate it with anything that touches the fish). If using low sodium soy sauce, season fish lightly with salt.
- Bake salmon for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and pour half of the remaining sauce over the filet and again brush it over the surface of the salmon. Save the remaining sauce for drizzling over finished salmon.
- Return fish to the oven and bake for 2-5 more minutes, until fish is cooked through. Salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork and has an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- Remove from oven. Pour remaining sauce over salmon. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.