This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
This 20 Minute Sausage and Mushroom Pasta is a quick and easy weeknight pasta dish, made healthier with chicken sausage, whole wheat pasta and a good dose of veggies.
I love a quick and easy pasta dinner, but pasta doesn’t always have all the healthy ingredients I try to get into meals. With this Sausage and Mushroom Pasta, used chicken sausage and whole wheat pasta, as well as some extra veggies to make this a quick, easy and healthy dinner that is still delicious.
When cooking with mushrooms, I always dry saute them before adding them to the other ingredients. Dry sauteing the mushrooms really intensifies the flavor and avoids the rubbery texture that mushrooms can sometimes get. simply cook the mushrooms in a dry pan (no oil or water) until the mushrooms release their water and it evaporates.
Add some butter and shallots to the pan, followed by the sliced chicken sausage.
Next, add the spinach. You may need to do this in batches. The spinach will seem like too much but it will shrink down quickly.
Last, add the cooked pasta and parmesan cheese. I don’t always like the taste of whole wheat pasta, but I really enjoyed the taste and texture of the Safeway O Organics® whole wheat rotini. I love being able to make small healthy swaps without sacrificing flavor!
Safeway O Organics® and Open Nature® brands make it easy with a huge selection of affordable, high quality products. Shop these affordable high-quality products available exclusively at Safeway.
I shopped at Safeway, but you can also find these exclusive brands at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Safeway also offers Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop!
Sausage and Mushroom Pasta
- 8 ounces whole wheat rotini
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup shallot
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 4 links pre cooked chicken sausage sliced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and dry saute until they release their water and the water evaporates, 5-10 minutes.
- Add butter and shallot to the pan, stir until butter is melted and shallot starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add sausage, cook until sausage starts to brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach, stir in until spinach shrinks down and is fully mixed with other ingredients.
- Add pasta and parmesan cheese, stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt if needed, then serve with more parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.