This Citrus Kale Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette is a healthy and refreshing winter detox salad. After an indulgent holiday, this is a great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken and get some much needed nutrients between all the crazy holiday eating!
Hey friends! Happy Thanksgiving week! I know you are probably running around trying to get ready for the big T-day, whether you are hosting, traveling to someone else’s house or just trying to finish up work in a short week. But I wanted to bring you this Citrus Kale Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette. For two reasons (other than it is delicious): First of all, this is a great way to use up leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. And second, after all the stuffing, potatoes and pie I bet you are wanting some fresh foods and maybe a detox salad.
And here I have for you the ideal after Thanksgiving detox salad. Packed with nutrient dense foods like kale, citrus and walnuts – and a sweet and tangy blood orange vinaigrette to tie it all together.
But you don’t need to reserve this Citrus Kale Salad for only the day after Thanksgiving – you can easily use leftover chicken in this salad, or do what I did and grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store. You could even leave the turkey/chicken out and make this a vegetarian salad. It would even make a great addition to your Thanksgiving or Christmas table!
I loved the fruit in this – I wanted to use up the persimmons and mandarin oranges I had used to garnish my Herb Butter Roasted Turkey. Have you ever used persimmons? This was my first time and they are so delicious! The go so nicely with the tangy blood orange vinaigrette and the creamy goat cheese.
Citrus Kale Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
For The Salad:
- 1 bunch bunch kale ribs removed and leaves torn into pieces (about 6 cups)
- 8 ounces cooked chicken or turkey cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 persimmon thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 mandarin orange peeled and separated into wedges
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese chevre
- 2-4 ounces raw walnuts
For Blood Orange Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of one blood orange
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients for blood orange vinaigrette to a mason jar, tightly seal lid and shake until fully combine (or you can just whisk it together).
- Add the torn kale to a large salad bowl. Pour a few tablespoons of the dressing over the kale, then massage the dressing into the kale for a few minutes. Allow to sit while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- To assemble salad, add the rest of the salad ingredients to the salad bowl, toss to combine. Top with more dressing or serve with dressing on the side.
Richa Gupta says
The salad looks great in combo and healthy!
Megan @ Megunprocessed says
I’m all about a good detox salad!
This salad looks so great! Beautiful, colourful, flavourful! I love that it can be done with different leftovers!
Love the idea of blood orange in the dressing.
Thanks Megan! The blood orange juice is my favorite part!
I’ve been looking for a good kale salad recipe! Love the citrus dressing! perfect for balancing out all the pie on thanksgiving!
Yesss! Thanks Melissa!
Lane & Holly @ With Two Spoons says
I adore blood orange. Beautiful AND delicious!