Golden potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary are your perfect side dish.
If you can believe it, there was a time in my life when I claimed that I “didn’t like potatoes”. Being Irish-American, naturally my family was horrified. My grandmother even tried to convince me that I did in fact like them by telling me that french fries were potatoes. Oh, but I was on to her. I mean, really. French Fries are potatoes? Who do you think you are fooling? I mean, I was four years old but I wasn’t born yesterday. And I held on to my firm belief that french fries were great but potatoes were gross for years.
Cut to today. I still love french fries just as much as I did back then. But potatoes in other forms are also now embraced as delicious. I am especially partial to oven roasted potatoes because they get nice and golden and crispy. Kind of like french fries. Hmmm. But these potatoes are even better, because there are whole garlic cloves that get soft and caramelized and fresh rosemary to add another layer of flavor. Sometimes when we cook something Mr. Briar and I can’t stop talking about how good it is, and this was one of those things.
I have to say that I am partial to using Yukon gold potatoes here (and in most recipes, actually). The texture is perfect, because they are a bit denser than a russet. I also used a whole head of garlic, with the cloves separated and peeled Peeling that many garlic cloves is a pain, so I used THIS kitchen trick and I have to say it worked pretty well. It is loud though, my cats were not fans. The garlic cloves roast and get very soft and caramelized. You can even spread them on a piece of bread like butter. So good.
I wanted the potatoes to get really crispy so I heated the baking sheet in the oven while the oven was preheating. It gets nice and hot and the potatoes start crisping up from the moment they hit the pan. I also like to arrange the potatoes so that the cut side is facing the pan – that allows the largest surface area to get browned. Flip the potatoes halfway through cooking.
Crispy Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Potatoes
- 2 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1 and 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 head garlic cloves separated and peeled.
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F with baking sheet in the oven so that it gets hot.
- In a bowl, add potatoes, garlic cloves, olive oil and rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Toss until everything is fully coated in oil.
- When oven is hot, carefully remove baking sheet and pour potatoes onto the hot pan, arranging in a single layer. Flip potatoes so that the cut side is facing the pan (that is how they will get crispy).
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, flipping halfway through. They are done when potatoes and garlic are golden brown.
What is your favorite kind of potato?