These Mini Baklava Cups are a cute, bite sized dessert with all the flavors of baklava – but without all the work! Only a few ingredients and 20 minutes will give you these perfect mini desserts!
Have you ever made baklava? Baklava is a beautiful, crispy, sweet dessert made with phyllo dough, nuts (usually walnuts or pistachios), butter and sugar syrup. It is a beloved treat that my husband grew up with, and so one day a few years ago we decided to make it at home. He remembered watching his grandmother making it from scratch, but when we attempted it we went with store-bought phyllo dough.
It was definitely a two person job for us, carefully laying out each sheet of phyllo and then brushing it with melted butter. The end result was fantastic, but we haven’t revisited the recipe since then. The main reason is because it was such a time-consuming dessert! I am all for putting in the time and effort for great results, but sometimes you want a treat without spending forever making it. Enter these Easy Mini Baklava Cups.
The major shortcut here is buying the premade mini phyllo shells – you can find them in the freezer section of the grocery store. I tried to incorporate all the flavors of baklava into each little cup, so I added some butter to the nut mixture – can’t miss out on the crispy buttery flavor that you normally get from the layers of phyllo! We used walnuts here, but pistachios are another nut that is often used in baklava, so feel free to use those if you prefer!
Easy Mini Baklava Cups
Yield 12 cups
These Mini Baklava Cups are a cute, bite sized dessert with all the flavors of baklava - but without all the work! Only a few ingredients and 20 minutes will give you these perfect mini desserts!
15 frozen phyllo mini cups
1 cup walnuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter (unsalted)
For the Syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make the syrup. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a simmer, stir until sugar is dissolved . Reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes, until syrup is a light golden color. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the baklava cups. Add the walnuts to a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 tablespoon of sugar, pulse a few times to combine. Pour in the butter, pulse 2-3 more times to mix. The walnuts should be about the same texture as breadcrumbs - not too finely ground.
- Place the phyllo cups in a mini muffin tin (you can also just put them on a cookie sheet if you don't have a mini muffin tin). Evenly divide the walnut filling between the phyllo cups.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven, and while they are still hot, spoon 1-2 teaspoons of the lemon syrup over each cup.
Best served right away, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container.