This Easy Sausage and Cabbage Skillet is my go to quick, easy and healthy weeknight dinner! Low Carb, Gluten Free, Whole 30, Paleo and all made in one pan – with minimal prep and easy cleanup!
This Sausage and Cabbage Skillet has been on a weekly rotation in our house for the last few weeks. I didn’t even mean to develop this for the blog, this was born out of pure necessity. That necessity being – I need a quick dinner that is also healthy and requires minimum effort. Anyone ever had that need before?
This is similar to my One Pot Paleo Sausage and Slaw Skillet except I’m pretty sure it is even easier. Plus I like that the sausage is crumbled and evenly distributed though the dish. I again turned to my weeknight dinner saver – bagged slaw. You can of course slice up your own cabbage/kale mix if you want, but using a precut bagged slaw just cuts down on a little prep time. Lazy? Possibly, but if it gets dinner on the table faster and with less clean up I think it is worth it.
Other than this Sausage and Cabbage Skillet being quick, flavorful and low carb, I love that it makes a huge serving! And you can make even more by bulking up the veggies. Not only that, but it’s all made in one pot. So you are spending less time making dinner and less time cleaning up! What more could you want?
If you want to reduce the calories more, using turkey or chicken sausage would work just as well here. I like using hot Italian sausage because it adds great flavor, but if you prefer mild that would work too. What are your favorite dinner shortcuts?
Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage for paleo/whole30 be sure to read ingredients to determine if they are compliant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 bag of slaw with kale cabbage, brussels sprouts and broccoli slaw (such as Cruciferous Crunch from Trader Joe's or Sweet Kale Salad from Costco/Kroger OR slice your own mix) about 10 ounces or 6 cups
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a high sided saute pan over medium high heat, brown the sausage until cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Once hot, add the onions and season with a little salt. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until softened and golden.
- Add the garlic and spices, cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage/kale slaw to the pan. The pan will be very full at first, carefully mix the slaw in and it will start to wilt and reduce in volume. You my need to add it in a few batches. Continue to stir, until everything is combined and slaw is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pan, stir to combine. Cook for another minute or two, until sausage is warmed. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve.