This Veggie Packed, Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with Southwest Salad is the perfect hands off hearty and healthy meal. A great meal to serve at the big game to balance out all the snacks and beer, or as a busy weeknight dinner!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Taylor Farms and Mission Produce. The opinions and text are all mine.
Who loves the Slow Cooker? My favorite thing about it is that you can throw all the ingredients in it, turn it on and not have to worry about dinner for the rest of the day. That is why I LOVE this Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. And not only is it super easy and hands off, but it is PACKED with veggies!
When Taylor Farms reached out to me to come up with a recipe for a soup and salad combo, I was excited to try out their different chopped salad varieties. The Taylor Farms Chopped Salad Kits make it SO EASY to have a healthy meal in no time. They come in a variety of flavors such as the Asian, Greek and BBQ Ranch. But I selected the Southwest Chopped Salad kit because I knew it would go perfectly with my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup.
In addition to all the other veggies packed into this Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup, I added a few handfuls of Taylor Farms Power Green Mix – a mixture of baby spinach and baby kale. Its another way to incorporate your greens – and if you or your family are veggie haters you won’t even notice them with all the other flavors going on in this soup.
Of course, nothing goes with southwest and Mexican flavors better than avocados! I knew a rich and creamy avocado would be the perfect topping for my soup. I topped my soup with slices of Mission Avocados, and threw some on the salad for good measure. I can’t get enough avocados these days, not only are they delicious but they are full of potassium and healthy fats. The creaminess of the avocado really compliments the spicy acidity of the soup.
This would be the perfect main dish to serve at a big Game Day party along side all the other snacks and drinks. Give your guests something nutritious to fill their bellies without slaving in the kitchen all day. This Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla soup is as easy as throwing all the ingredients in the crock pot in the morning and then opening a bag of Taylor Farms Southwest Chopped Salad.
Oh – and the toppings! Don’t skip them, they make the soup! Creamy Mission Produce Avocados, melty cheese, crunchy tortilla strips and a squeeze of lime. Love it or hate it, set out some cilantro for the final garnish and flavor.
If you are serving this at a party, I suggest making a soup and salad bar for guests to serve themselves. Set out the soup, salad and the toppings in individual dishes. Then allow guests to make their own bowls and plates as they are hungry. This allows you to enjoy the game and not have to worry about serving everyone.
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
For The Southwest Salad:
For The Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Taylor Farms Power Greens Mix baby spinach and baby kale
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion diced
- 2 bell peppers any color, diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes 15.5 ounces
- 1 can fire roasted chilies 4 ounces
- 1 can black beans 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag frozen corn kernels 16 ounces
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Mission Avocados sliced
- grated cheddar cheese
- crunchy tortilla strips
- lime wedges
- To make the soup, add all soup ingredients to the slow cooker EXCEPT the greens and lime juice. Stir to mix, heat on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove chicken and shred with a fork, then return to the crock pot, along with the greens and lime juice. Stir and allow to cook for about 5 more minutes, until greens are wilted but still bright green.
- Prepare southwest salad according to instructions, top with diced avocados.
- Serve soup in bowls topped with avocados, shredded cheese, tortilla strips, lime wedges and if desired cilantro.
- Serve southwest chopped salad along side soup.
This is a sponsored post, written by me on behalf of Taylor Farms and Mission Produce. Opinions, as always, are all my own! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Fox and Briar! For more information, see my disclosure policy.
Rac L says
This recipe is definitely a keeper for our busy home. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Rac, so happy you love it!