Make a big batch of this Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate for your next winter party! This peppermint hot cocoa is rich, creamy and super chocolaty!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year!! Yep, I am one of THOSE people. The people who LOVE Christmas. I do make myself wait until a respectable time to put up my Christmas tree and start listening to Christmas music (The day after Thanksgiving, obviously). But once that time comes? It is ON. This year I have been OBSESSED with all things peppermint and chocolate. I can’t get enough. Which is why I had to make this Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
If I could, I would go to Starbucks every day and have a Peppermint Mocha or Peppermint Hot Chocolate. But alas, I can’t. Instead I’ve taken to making them at home. I normally make this Peppermint Hot Chocolate for one, but I thought it would be great to have a big batch version of peppermint hot chocolate for winter parties, warming up after skiing or sledding, or just sitting around staring at your Christmas tree. In fact, it would be SO FUN to have this waiting for you when you come home from picking out your Christmas tree!
This recipe for Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate is super easy. You just add milk, cream, chocolate chips and cocoa powder to your crock pot. I have also tried it without the cocoa powder, but I think it adds an extra chocolate oomph. After about an hour, the chocolate is melted and the cocoa is hot and steamy. Just whisk until everything is smooth and creamy. Then add the extracts and a pinch of salt. Salt seems weird, but it helps bring out the flavors and balance out the sweetness. It won’t make your peppermint cocoa salty, I promise!
One note about peppermint extract: It is easy to go overboard, so start with less and add more to taste. I would start with 1/2 teaspoon and then add another 1/4 teaspoon if you feel it needs it. No one wants their peppermint hot chocolate to taste like toothpaste! The same goes for the chocolate chips. Start with a smaller amount and add more. Some people want their hot chocolate really sweet and rich, but that may be too much for others. Another trick if you accidentally make it too sweet? Just add a little more milk. Now get to decking the halls!
Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 6 ½ cups milk I used 2%
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or just use more milk
- 1 ½ - 1 ¾ cups chocolate chips start with less, add more for richer and sweeter hot chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon peppermint extract I used 3/4 teaspoon. Start with less, add more to taste. Peppermint extract can be very strong!
- pinch of salt
For The Garnish:
- whipped cream
- crushed peppermint candies
- chocolate shavings
- In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and warm water to make a paste.
- Add the milk, heavy cream, chocolate chips and cocoa paste to the slow cooker, set to low for one hour.
- Stir a few times with a whisk during cooking.
- When chocolate is melted, whisk until fully combined and smooth. Add the peppermint extract, vanilla extract and salt. Taste and add more peppermint extract if needed. If you want a sweeter, more chocolatey hot chocolate, add 1/4 cup more chocolate chips and stir until fully melted.
- Serve with whipped cream, crushed peppermint candies and chocolate shavings to garnish. Hot cocoa can be keep on the warm setting for several hours, but will need to be whisked a few times as it forms a skin on top.
What kind of chocolate chips are best?
Hi Stormy – I like ghirardelli!
The cups are lovely! Where did you get them?
Hi Catherine! I got them last year at World Market 🙂
Richa Gupta says
Wow, I would love to have this anytime!
That look so so rich and creamy! I need to make a batch of it!
This sounds perfect!
THis is like christmas in a cup!
Megan @ MegUnprocessed says
I’ve got to try making hot chocolate in the show cooker!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
These pictures are exquisite!! The recipe produces a delicious, warm & festive drink on these chilly evenings~~love, love this!