This delicious, moist and fluffy banana bread is so easy to make and even easier to eat! With the addition of my favorite spices, it’s the perfect breakfast treat to warm you up on a chilly morning!
Please welcome Nicole from Windy City Dinner Fairy! Nicole is a classically trained pastry chef and we are so lucky to have her guest posting on Fox and Briar today, sharing her favorite recipe for banana bread! Take it away Nicole!
Banana bread is one of my favorite things to make for a couple reasons. This quick bread is delicious and perfect for breakfast or a snack, and I always have all the necessary ingredients on hand! Today I’m going to show you how make this easy spiced banana bread recipe!
To get a super flavorful banana bread, you want to start with the best ingredients. That includes super ripe bananas. I have a tendency to buy bananas and never eat them in time, so I always have overly ripe bananas on hand. Ideally you want to use bananas that are turning black and are super soft.
Why do we want really ripe bananas? They produce concentrated banana flavor have the most natural sweetness. If your bananas are turning brown but you don’t have time to bake, throw them in the freezer! The night before baking, put them on a plate and defrost in the fridge, or put them on the counter a couple hours before your ready to bake.
If you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, can you still make really good banana bread?
Yes! There are a couple tricks you can use to speed up the process depending on how much time you have. You can stick them in a brown paper bag and loosely close it. Ethylene will build up and circulate within the bag, speeding up the ripening process. Check on them once in a while in order to take them out at the perfect time. You can also place a ripe fruit such as an apple or tomato in the bag as well to help expedite the process!
How can quickly I ripen bananas for banana bread?
My favorite method is to stick them in the oven at at 350° F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bananas are completely blackened. Let them cool, scoop the banana from the peel, and mash for banana bread.
Do you use butter or oil in banana bread?
I prefer to use oil in all of my quick bread recipes! Because oil does not solidify at room temperature it keeps the breads extra moist.
What is a quick bread?
Quick bread is any bread leavened with leavening agents other than yeast or eggs. They can be prepared quickly without requiring the time-consuming skilled labor and the specific temperatures required for traditional yeast breads. They include basic ingredients like all-purpose flour, liquids (typically milk) salt and leavening agent, such as baking powder and/or baking soda. They usually contain added fat from butter or vegetable oil, eggs and sugar, but in different proportions, making some sweeter and richer.
What is the quick bread mixing method?
What makes this quick bread so quick and easy is the mixing method! Also known as the stirring method (or blending method, or muffin method) is used for pancakes, muffins, cornbread, and so much more. To put it simply, it calls for measurement of dry and wet ingredients separately, then quickly mixing the two.
What are the ingredients for a quick bread?
The basic ingredients of any quick-bread recipe are all-purpose flour, liquids, typically milk, salt and leavening agent, such as baking powder and/or baking soda. They usually contain added fat from butter or vegetable oil, eggs and sugar. So simple and so delicious!
Now let’s get baking!
Spiced Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp ginger I also used some crystalized ginger as well for some extra texture
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana 3 or 4 medium over ripe bananas, plus one extra for garnish (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease or line with parchment paper a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices). Whisk together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, peel and mash the bananas. Then add the eggs, oil or melted butter, and vanilla extract is using. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula or a spoon to stir the wet and dry together. Do not over-mix the batter!
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with one banana, sliced in half, if desired (optional). Bake at 350 F for 55-65 minutes, until a tester comes out with moist crumbs.
- Remove baked loaf from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack.