This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Creamy Parmesan Basil Shrimp is a restaurant quality dish you can make at home! Creamy luscious sauce envelops plump shrimp, perfect for serving over pasta, or make it keto and serve with spaghetti squash instead!
The best creamy shrimp recipe
If you are looking for the best creamy shrimp recipe, this is it. Oh my goodness, you guys. So much flavor in this creamy basil sauce – all the best flavors, like garlic, Parmesan, butter, cream. Yes, this is the good stuff, and at least as good as you would get at a restaurant. This Creamy Basil Parmesan Shrimp is perfect for a date night at home, but quick and easy enough to serve on a weeknight.
We served this creamy shrimp over pasta, but it is also the perfect keto shrimp recipe. So to keep it keto and low carb, skip the pasta and serve it with veggies – like spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles (zoodles), or cauliflower mash.
Should you cook with shrimp with the shells on or off?
This is a personal preference. I usually buy frozen, peeled shrimp – so I cook them without the shells. But if you have shrimp with the shells, you can leave them on during the cooking and it will just add more flavor to the dish!
Should you leave the tails on or off when cooking shrimp?
Again this is a personal preference. I leave the tails on, but feel free to remove the tails before cooking if you prefer.
If you like this, you will love these other easy shrimp recipes
Creamy Parmesan Basil Shrimp
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 yellow onion finely minced
- 3-4 ounces roasted red peppers thinly sliced.
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves plus more for garnish
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine (or chicken stock)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large non stick pan on medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, then sear, 1-2 minutes on each side, until just pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet add 1 tablespoons butter. Add onion, garlic, peppers, paprika, red chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until onions and peppers are softened.
- Add wine to deglaze the skillet and bring to a gentle simmer until reduced by half.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add cream to the skillet and stir until a creamy sauce forms. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add Parmesan, stir until melted into sauce. Stir in basil, simmer until wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Add shrimp back to the skillet and reheat 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve over pasta, zoodles, spaghetti squash.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.