This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe is a super fast dinner and better than takeout!
This easy homemade sesame chicken is so good – I’ve made it for my family about five times in the last few weeks and we haven’t gotten tired of it yet!
What is sesame chicken?
Sesame Chicken is a crispy, sweet and tangy chicken recipe often found in Chinese restaurants in the United States. Although the chicken is often deep fried to make it crispy, this recipe skips the breading to make it faster, easier and a little healthier.
What are the ingredients for Sesame Chicken?
I like to use chicken thighs in this recipe, but if you prefer, you can also make sesame chicken with chicken breasts.
For the sauce, the ingredients are low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and cornstarch.
How to make sesame chicken at home
This sesame chicken recipe is full of flavor but incredibly easy to make. It isn’t deep fried so it is healthier than what you might find at a typical American Chinese restaurant.
To make sesame chicken, cut the chicken into small, bite sized pieces.
Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce – low Sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, corn starch and chili garlic sauce.
Add a tablespoon of oil to a sauté pan and heat pan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and brown about 5 minutes per side, until cooked through.
When chicken is cooked, add sauce to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, until sauce had started to thicken and the chicken is coated in sauce.
Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- Whisk together ingredients for sauce, set aside.
- Heat a oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add the chicken. Sear until browned on one side, then flip and repeat on the second side, until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add sauce, cook for 1-2 minutes, or until sauce has started to thicken and the chicken is coated in sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion, serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.