Learn how to peel and cut a Butternut Squash the easiest way!
I absolutely love roasted butternut squash in the Fall and Winter, but sometimes figuring out how to peel and cut a butternut squash can be tricky! Today I am sharing step by step photos showing you how to cut and roast a butternut squash with no frustration.
how to peel butternut squash
The most life changing kitchen tool for peeling butternut squash is THIS Y-Peeler. I love this peeler so much that I own two of them. It makes peeling the tough skin of butternut squash easy, and it also works great for peeling all sorts of other things like sweet potatoes, carrots, cucumbers and more.
To peel a butternut squash, first use a sharp knife to cut the ends off of the squash. Then use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel the skin off in long strips.
How to cut butternut squash
Now that you have peeled the butternut squash, it is time to cut it! The awkward shape can make it seem daunting, but all you need is a sharp knife.
To cut a butternut squash, first cut the squash in half, separating the lower bulbous end from the longer end. Then slice each of those pieces lengthwise (see photo).
Scoop out the seeds, then flip the pieces over with the flat side down. Slice each piece into half moons.
Cut those half moons into equally sized sticks. Then dice the sticks into equal sized cubes.
How to roast butternut squash
To make simple roasted butternut squah, toss the cubed butternut squash in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast at 425 degrees F for 25-40 minutes. Squash is done when it is tender and easily pierced with a knife.
More recipes using butternut squash
Try my Easy Chickpea Curry with butternut squash!
- 1 Butternut Squash 2-3 pounds
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
How to peel and cut a butternut squash
- Use a sharp knife to cut the ends off of the squash. Then use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel the skin off in long strips.
- Cut the squash in half, separating the lower bulbous end from the longer end. Then slice each of those pieces lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds, then flip the pieces over with the flat side down. Slice each piece into half moons.
- Cut those half moons into equally sized sticks. Then dice the sticks into equal sized cubes.
how to cook butternut squash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Peel butternut squash and cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
- Arrange on a baking sheet, toss with olive oil and season with kosher salt.
- Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes. Use a metal spatula to turn the squash, then roast for an additional 10-20 minutes, or until squash is tender and starting to turn golden..
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!
Leave a Reply