These Red, White, and Blue Wine Sparklers are the perfect festive drink for the Fourth of July. Refreshing and light on alcohol makes for easy drinking on a hot summer day!
Who is ready for summer?? 🙋🙋🙋 BBQs, picnics, block parties, getting together with family and friends – I am so excited. I’m especially looking forward to Fourth of July, which I will be spending with family that I haven’t seen in a long time. And these Red, White and Blue Wine Sparklers will definitely be making an appearance as well.
I actually set out to make a sangria, but I decided that hot weather and day drinking called for a lighter, more refreshing drink. Enter the wine sparkler. Since it is a mix of wine, fruit and sparkling water, it isn’t a full strength alcoholic drink. Which might sound like a bummer, but let’s be honest, if you start drinking a noon you really don’t want to be drinking the strong stuff all day, right? No one wants a hangover on July 5th.
To make this patriotic drink extra festive, I used red strawberries, blueberries and white wine – as well as white stars cut from apples. I have to give Gimme Some Oven for the inspiration on that one! I had the star cookie cutters from my Red, White and Blue Trifles and I couldn’t resist the cute factor. My wine ended up turning pink from the berries anyway. Which makes me think I bet this would be amazing with rosé!
I soaked the fruit in the wine overnight, and then added ice and sparkling water right before serving. The result was a light, fruity, effervescent drink that will be perfect for sipping all day at our Fourth of July BBQ! If the drink is TOO light for your tastes, you can always add some Grand Marnier or a few dashes of bitters to give it a more complex flavor. And if low alcohol drinks are not for you and you say “Bring on the booze!” then you could try sparkling wine instead of sparkling water. What are your Fourth of July plans? Be extra careful with those fireworks, and if you drink these Patriotic Wine Sparklers or anything else please don’t drive! I wish you all a happy and safe Fourth of July!
Red, White and Blue Wine Sparklers
- 1 750 ml bottle white wine such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 liter sparkling water
- 1 pound strawberries sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1-2 apples
- Slice the apple into thin rounds and cut out stars using a small star cookie cutter.
- Add the apple stars, blueberries and strawberries to a pitcher and pour in the wine. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, add ice to the pitcher and top with sparkling water to taste (I only used half of my sparkling water to top off the pitcher). Alternately you could top each glass off with the sparkling water individually to make sure each glass is extra fizzy.
- To serve, spoon some fruit into a glass filled with ice, top with wine sparkler.
Kristen M Chidsey says
Perfection!!! This is such a great idea. I just LOVE LOVE it!
Thank you so much Kristen!