This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Oven Roasted Potatoes and Carrots with garlic and herb butter. This makes a great side dish for chicken, lamb or beef on a weeknight or holiday dinner. This easy recipe makes absolutely addictive carrots and potatoes that your family will love.
Roasting is my favorite method for cooking vegetables. Roasting at a relatively high heat will give you vegetables that are tender on the inside and crisp on the outside, and the browning will bring out the natural sweetness. The combination of earthy carrots and potatoes with butter, garlic and herbs is so delicious you will be eating them straight from the pan!
How to make roasted Potatoes and Carrots
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Peel carrots and cut into 1 inch pieces, cut baby potatoes into quarters. Toss carrots and potatoes in olive oil, season with kosher salt and black pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet with the flat sides of the pieces facing down. This will help them get brown and crisp.
Roast for 30-40 minutes, until they are tender and easily pierced with a knife. Combine melted butter, garlic and herbs in a small bowl. pour over the potatoes and carrots, then toss to fully coat. Return to the oven and roast for another 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and taste. If needed, season with more salt and pepper, then serve.
What kind of potatoes and carrots are the best for roasting?
I prefer to use baby Yukon gold potatoes, although regular sized Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces will also work. I don’t peel the baby potatoes. I find that Yukon gold potatoes have the best flavor and texture when roasted.
I also like to use whole carrots rather than baby carrots. The flavor is much better with whole carrots. Baby carrots are actually just whole carrots that have been cut, peeled, “polished”, and then soaked in a chlorinated water solution. The few extra minutes it takes to peel and cut whole carrots will pay back big with flavor.
Do carrots take longer to cook than potatoes?
Potatoes usually take longer to cook than carrots. This is why I suggest using baby potatoes and quartering them. Cutting the potatoes into smaller pieces should help them cook at a similar rate to the carrots. That will also give them more surface area to get browned and crisp.
More Side Dishes to try
Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary minced
- 1 pound whole carrots peeled and cut into ½ inch thick coins
- 1 pound baby gold potatoes quartered
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss potatoes and carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange on a sheet pan, flipping pieces so the flat sides are down (this will help them get nicely browned). Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile mix together melted butter, garlic and herbs in a small bowl.
- Pour garlic butter mixture onto carrots and potatoes, carefully toss with a spatula until the vegetables are coated with the butter mixture. Return to oven and roast for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.