Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Sausage is a healthy, low carb dinner that is deliciously satisfying. This quick and easy dinner recipe will be a crowd pleaser too!
The Easiest Way to prepare spaghetti squash
I love spaghetti squash. It is full of fiber and a perfect vehicle for rich and hearty sauce and melty cheese. Spaghetti squash is one of my go to ingredients for healthy weeknight dinners. But roasting a spaghetti squash takes so long – how can you make spaghetti squash quickly enough for a weeknight dinner?
The answer: microwave. Although the microwave gets a bad rap, it does a few things well – and cooking spaghetti squash is one of them.
How to microwave spaghetti squash
- Cut the spaghetti Squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
2. Place cut side down on a microwave safe plate or dish. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until easily pierced with a knife.
3. When cool enough to handle, use a fork to shred the squash into “noodles”.
4. Wrap the spaghetti squash in a kitchen towel or paper towel. Squeeze to get as much moisture out of the spaghetti squash as possible.
Now the spaghetti squash can be used in many different recipes. Today we are making this Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Sausage. This is a quick and healthy dinner recipe. Which is why I love that I can prepare the spaghetti squash so quickly.
How to make Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Sausage.
- Make the sauce. Saute onions in olive oil . Add sausage and cook until browned. Drain excess fat. Stir in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir to combine. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
2. Remove a cup of sauce, set aside. Add spaghetti squash to remaining sauce and stir to fully combine.
4. Transfer spaghetti squash mixture to casserole dish.
4. Top spaghetti squash mixture with remaining sauce.
5. Top with cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Finish under broiler for 1-2 minutes to get cheese a little browned if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Place cut side down on a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 12-15 minutes, or until flesh is easy pierced with a knife.
- When cool enough to handle, use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash into noodle shapes.
- Wrap spaghetti squash flesh in a towel, squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- When hot, add onions. Saute until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir to combine. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove about 1 cup of sauce from pan, set aside.
- Add spaghetti squash and stir to mix into the sauce.
- Transfer spaghetti squash mixture to a large casserole pan.
- Top with the reserved sauce, then top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Finish under broiler for 1-2 minutes to get cheese a little browned if desired.