This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
Hot Chocolate Bombs are a perfect treat for Valentines’ day and can be adapted for any time of year!
To me, Valentine’s day has always been a day about celebrating ALL the people you love. Not just your romantic partner, but your kids, parents, and friends. And what better way to tell people you love them than through chocolate and flowers? I always share a fun chocolate dessert around Valentine’s day, such as these Molten Lava Cakes, this Raspberry Swirl Brownie Sundae for Two or this Flourless Chocolate Cake. This year I decided to hop on the Hot Cocoa Bomb trend that is sweeping the internet.
I’ve partnered with Safeway to share the limited-edition Valentine’s offerings from debi lilly design™ x Valentines Collection in the floral department. I picked up a dozen pink roses and a pink teardrop vase to make the gorgeous arrangement you see in the photos. Flowers + chocolate? A total winning combination, especially on Valentine’s day.
What is a hot chocolate bomb?
A Hot Chocolate Bomb is a chocolate sphere filled with powdered hot cocoa, and sometimes marshmallows and other things.
How do you use a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
To use a hot chocolate bomb, place it in a mug and pour hot milk over it. The hot cocoa bomb will melt and break open, reveling what is inside. Simply stir the chocolate into the hot milk and enjoy a hot cup of cocoa.
How do you make a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
- Melt the chocolate – I find it easier to do this over a double broiler. All you need to do is set a heat proof bowl over a simmering pot of water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water. Place the chocolate in the bowl and stir until it is fully melted.
- Fill the molds – Use a spoon to add a small amount of chocolate into the molds. Then use the back of the spoon to coat the entire inside of the mold, up to the edges. Refrigerate for five minute, then repeat.
- Remove chocolate spheres from molds,
- Fill half of the chocolate spheres with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows.
- Melt edges, place two halves together. – to do this, microwave a plate for one minute. Set the unfilled spheres on the plate for a few seconds – just until the edges start to melt. Place one of the unfilled halves over one of the filled half and gently press together to seal.
- Decorate outside of spheres. Use the leftover melted chocolate to drizzle over the completed spheres, then add sprinkles if desired. Tip: make sure this chocolate is not hot or it will melt your chocolate spheres. It should be slightly cooled but still liquid.
What ingredients and tools do I need to make Hot Chocolate Bombs?
- High Quality Chocolate. Keep in mind, you don’t want your chocolate to have lots of fillers and additives. It is also important to use chocolate with a high cocoa content, at least 60%. Semi-Sweet or Bittersweet chocolate is going to work best here. I used O Organics® chocolate chunks which have 72% cocoa content. You can also use a high quality chocolate bar that is finely chopped.
- Hot cocoa mix. You can use store bought or my homemade hot chocolate mix.
- Mini Marshmallows. These are optional, I guess, but what is hot chocolate without marshmallows?
- Heart Shaped Sprinkles. These are optional too, and can be changed depending on what occasion you are celebrating. Be sure to use sprinkles made out of sugar and corn starch and not the waxy rod shaped sprinkles. The waxy kind adds an unpleasant flavor to the hot cocoa.
- A silicon mold. The one I used had cavities that are two inches in diameter, which was a pretty good size for a hot chocolate bomb mold.
Whether you are looking to show love to your family, friends and neighbors or your best gal pals, are looking to make your home upbeat and lovely for Valentine’s Day, or simply want to treat yourself, Safeway’s exclusive debi lilly design™ brand has high-quality, high-style pieces all at a value in the floral department. For gifting and creating special moments with family and friends this Valentine’s day, you can find great products you are proud to enjoy and share with your family and friends in-store or online at Safeway.
I shopped at Safeway, but you can also find them at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Safeway also offers Grocery Delivery & DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop!
- 1 cup chocolate 60% cocoa content or above, chopped
- 3 TBSP powdered hot cocoa mix
- 15 mini marshmallows
- sprinkles optional
- Fill a pan about 1/3 with eater and bring to a simmer. Place chocolate in a heat safe bowl, then set the bowl over the simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water.
- As chocolate starts to melt, stir or whisk chocolate until no lumps remain and chocolate is smooth and shiny. Remove bowl from heat.
- Use a spoon to drizzle a small amount of chocolate into the chocolate mold, then use the back of the spoon to fully coat the inside of the mold with chocolate. Make sure the edges are coated with chocolate all the way to the top.
- Place mold in fridge for five minutes, or until set. coat the mold with a second layer of chocolate, and place in the fridge for 5-10 more minutes.
- Carefully pop the chocolate out of the molds. It helps to wear gloves while doing this to avoid getting finger prints on the chocolate.
- Fill three of the halves with hot cocoa powder, a few mini marshmallows and some sprinkles (optional, see notes)
- Warm a plate in the microwave for 1 minute. Set the unfilled chocolate halves, edge side down, on the warm plate. The edges will start to melt right away, remove quickly before they melt too much. You just want them melted enough to seal them to the other half. If you have trouble lifting the half off of the warm plate, gently slide the edge of a knife under the edge to lift it up.
- Place the unfilled half over the filled half and gently press together to seal the edges.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate over the chocolate spheres and top with sprinkles if desired.
- When ready to serve, heat 8 ounces of milk until hot and steaming but not boiling. Place hot chocolate bomb in a mug and pour hot milk over it. The hot chocolate bomb will melt and burst. Stir well to mix the chocolate with the milk.