This Lasagna Stuffed Eggplant is a low carb, gluten free, healthy dinner you can be excited about. Learn how to make this healthy baked eggplant recipe.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!
Hi friends! I’m back today with another recipe where I trick you into eating vegetables for dinner. Isn’t that fun? OK, it’s actually myself who needs to be tricked into eating vegetables, apparently. I try to eat healthy, I really do, but I just love carbs so much! To offset all the carbs (I’m never totally giving them up) I try to find ways to replace carbs with vegetables whenever possible. For example these Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, or these Tex-Mex Stuffed Bell Peppers.
This time around, I made stuffed eggplant. Lasagna Stuffed Eggplant, to be exact. All the flavors of lasagna, none of the noodles. Have you ever cooked eggplant before? It can be a little intimidating. But I don’t want you to be scared, so I’m addressing some of the most common questions about eggplant below.
How long do you cook stuffed eggplant?
For this Lasagna Stuffed Eggplant, you bake it for 60-75 minutes in a 350 degree oven. I also suggest covering the dish with foil during most of the baking time.
Can you eat the skin of the eggplant?
Yes, the skin of the eggplant is edible. On some older eggplants, it can be bitter, so you can peel the eggplant if you want to.
Can you eat the seeds of the eggplant?
Yes, you can eat the seeds of the eggplant. However, they can cause bitterness, so I scoop out most of the seeds before cooking. However, the seeds are edible.
What can I make with eggplant?
If you love this Lasagna Stuffed Eggplant and want to try more eggplant recipes, here are seven creative and healthy recipes using eggplant:
- MEAT STUFFED EGGPLANT: BITTEN JEN by Fox and Briar
- HEARTY EGGPLANT LASAGNA by Fox and Briar
- Grilled Eggplant and Spinach Salad by Salt and Lavender
- Curried Eggplant and Okra by Beyond Mere Sustenance
- Stuffed Aubergine with Lamb & Pomegranate by Slow The Cook Down
- Roasted Eggplant an Feta Dip by Maria Ushakova
- GRILLED ZUCCHINI & EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE by Cookin Canuck
Lasagna Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
- 2 medium eggplants
- 3 cups sausage marinara
- 8 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Slice eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out the middle, leaving a 1/2 inch border all around the edge and bottom, to create boats. Place eggplant boats in a large baking dish
- Spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta on the bottom of each eggplant. Add half a cup of sausage marinara sauce. Add another tablespoon of ricotta, then top with more sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Remove foil, sprinkle cheese on top of the eggplant, then return to oven for 15 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil and serve.