This Mediterranean Orzo Salad is a vegetarian pasta salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, artichokes, feta and fresh herbs. It has a lemony dressing with just the right amount of zip. Orzo Pasta Salad is perfect for a BBQ or picnic, and the perfect side dish for any summer meal!
There is something about eating a cold pasta salad on a hot summer day that is just the best. I recently made this Mediterranean Orzo Salad and the cold, crunchy cucumbers, zesty lemon dressing and bright fresh herbs really make it perfect for a warm summer meal. This Orzo Pasta Salad is vegetarian, and can be served as a main dish or as a side dish. It is also perfect for bringing to picnics or BBQs, because it is actually BETTER if you make it ahead of time.
Lemon Vinaigrette for Orzo Salad
To make the Mediterranean Pasta Salad, I whisked together a lemony dressing. The ingredients for the lemon vinaigrette are:
- lemon juice
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- dried oregano
Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Some recipes call for blending the vinaigrette in a blender, but I found that wasn’t necessary.
What is Orzo?
If you have never had orzo before, it’s time you did! Orzo is a type of pasta, but it is shaped almost like large grains of rice. It is a tiny type of pasta, or pastina. It is often used in soups, but is also can be combined with rice for a pilaf, or used in salads.
How do you cook orzo?
You can cook orzo just as you would any other pasta. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the dried orzo and cook 7-9 minutes, or until al dente. Drain water and toss with olive oil, butter, or sauce of choice.
What goes well with Mediterranean Orzo Salad?
I already have lots of Mediterranean Inspired recipes on my site, be sure to check them out! My Greek Chicken Thighs would be perfect, or my Lamb Kofta Kebabs. Orzo salad is great on it’s own, or served as a side dish to grilled meats or other main dishes.
- 1.5 cups uncooked orzo
- 1.5 cups Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 8 oz Cucumber About half of one large cucumber, peeled and cut into half moons
- 3/4 cup red onion diced
- 15 oz Artichoke hearts one can
- 1 cup Feta
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove very finely minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Cook Orzo according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together and set aside. Whisk vigorously until well combined.
- When orzo is finished cooking, drain and rinse with cool water.
- Combine cooked orzo with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour in the dressing and gently stir until all ingredients are combined and coated with dressing. This orzo salad tastes best if it can sit for at least half an hour before serving, so the flavors can meld.