This Mexican Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Honey Lime Dressing has a smoky spiced grilled flank steak, charred corn, grilled onions, creamy avocado and a zingy honey lime dressing. Quick to make inside on the stove or outside on the grill!
Do you guys ever have a hard time coming up with what to make for dinner? If you can believe it, so do I. Even though I am a food blogger, I love cooking, and many of my work days involve developing recipes and cooking for this little blog, I still have countless days where dinner is looming and I have no idea what to make. On those days I want something that is quick and doesn’t take much effort. Sound familiar? I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one with that problem. This Mexican Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Honey Lime Dressing was born on one of those days. I found myself at the grocery store just before 5pm and nothing was looking appealing. Then I spied the flank steak and I knew what I wanted to do.
This recipe has quickly become a family favorite, so when Fred Meyer asked me to create a recipe for the grill, I knew this was the one. What I love about this recipe is that it can be made outdoors on the grill or inside in a grill pan. We love grilling in my house, but grilling is usually a big production for us, and it isn’t something we always do for a quick weeknight meal. I grilled this steak in a grill pan and also on our charcoal grill and both times it was great. So if you don’t have access to an outdoor grill, you can still make this (and I actually found that the indoor preparation is faster).
Rather than marinating the flank steak, I went with a dry rub. I just mixed together some spices and rubbed it all over both sides of the flank steak, then let it sit for about 15 minutes while I prepared everything else for the salad. The steak itself only takes about 5-8 minutes of cooking per side, so if you time things right you can be done in 30-45 minutes. If making this indoors, I roasted the corn and onions on a baking sheet, if grilling outdoors I grilled them. The dressing is a snap to make, I just pour everything into a mason jar and shake it up until combined.
I have included instructions for both the outdoor grill and making this indoors, so that is why the recipe may seem long. To make it a little more simple, I have the grilled corn instructions here. Although I think that the indoor preparation is faster, there really is nothing that beats the taste of food grilled on a charcoal grill. What about you? Do you grill even on busy weeknights?
You may also like…
Mexican Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
For The Flank Steak:
- 1 flank steak about 1 and a half pounds
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For The Honey Lime Dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove pressed or minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
For The Rest of the Salad
- 6 cups mixed baby greens I used baby romaine and arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 large sweet onion such as Walla Walla
- 1 avocado sliced
- olive oil or butter
- Mix together the ingredients for the rub and then rub it evenly over both sides of the steak. Allow steak to sit for about 15 minutes.
If Grilling On An Outdoor Grill:
- Prepare Charred Grilled Corn (instructions HERE). After corn is done, slice kernels off of the cob with a sharp knife.
To Grill Onions On Outdoor Grill:
- Thread a wooden skewer crossways near the top of the onion and then slice off a 1/2 inch slice. Repeat until you have 3-4 slices that are no more and 1/2 inch thick, each with a skewer threaded through it, to keep it from falling apart. Brush slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over cool side of the grill, flipping a few times to keep from burning. Remove when tender and golden (about half an hour)
To Prepare Steak:
- Grill on an outdoor grill over hot side of the grill. Grill for about 5 minutes on the first side, flip and grill for about 3 more minutes, or until internal temperature reaches desired level. Remove from grill and cover with foil, allow to rest for 5-15 minutes before slicing. When ready to slice, be sure to slice against the grain into thin slices.
If Preparing Indoors On The Stove:
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Dice onion and slice kernels off of corn. Spread corn kernels and onion in an even layer on a large, foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast until soft and starting to turn golden, 20-25 minutes.
- For steak, heat a grill pan over medium heat, grill 5-8 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches desired level. Remove from pan and cover with foil, allow to rest for 5-15 minutes before slicing. When ready to slice, be sure to slice against the grain into thin slices.
To Make The Dressing:
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a tightly sealed lid. Shake until fully combined.
To Assemble The Salad:
- Fill a bowl with mixed greens, top with corn, onions, tomatoes, avocado, steak slices and drizzle with dressing.
Disclaimer: I partnered Fred Meyer for this recipe, however, my opinions, as always, are 100% my own. Integrity is important to me, and I only share brands and products that I think are awesome. Thank you for supporting Fox and Briar!