This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Sausage and Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash is a hearty meal on a cold fall or winter day, sure to keep you satisfied.
Stuffed Acorn Squash is one of my favorite fall and winter dinners. It is so hearty and satisfying, not to mention I just love how the acorn squash look like little pumpkins. You can stuff the squash with a number of things, but I of course went with my favorite combination of sausage, onions and kale. Sausage with kale and onions never fails to be delicious, like in this Sausage and Kale Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Boats, this Sausage, Kale and Sweet Potato Stew, or these Sausage and Kale Make Ahead Egg Muffins.
These Sausage and Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash are very easy to make, although the cooking time is a little longer so I usually make these on a day that I am home all day and don’t need a quick dinner. Most of the cooking time is hands off though, baking in the oven, so you don’t actually have to spend that much time in the kitchen.
In my house we usually count one squash as two servings, as they are very filling. Depending on how hungry you are, you may want one all to yourself though.
This Sausage and Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash is gluten free, low carb, and makes a satisfying dinner on a cold night.
You may also like…
Sausage and Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 4 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage I used chicken sausage
- 1 bunch kale center rib removed and torn into pieces (about 6 cups prepared)
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic pressed, grated or very finely minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- 1 pinch red chili flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the top inch off the top of each acorn squash and save the tops. Use a spoon to clean out the seeds. Slice a very small bit off the bottom if necessary so that the squash sits flat. Place in a baking dish, and put 1/2 tablespoon of butter in the bottom of each squash cavity, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, brown the sausage over medium high. When done, remove from pan.
- Wipe out the pan and add the olive oil. Add the diced onion, season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook for about 8 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the garlic and kale, sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the kale is wilted.
- Add the sausage back into the pan and stir to combine.
- Spoon the sausage filling into each squash, being careful not to pack it too tightly (depending on how large your squash is, you may have some filling leftover).
- Place the tops back on the squash, covering the filling, and bake for about 55 minutes, until squash is very tender.
- Remove from oven and remove tops. Grate about 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese over the acorn squash and then put back in the oven for about 5 more minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.