Chicken Scarpariello is an Italian-American classic also known as shoemakers chicken. With pan fried chicken thighs, savory Italian sausage and zingy pickled cherry peppers, this easy recipe is full of flavor.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!
What is Chicken Scarpariello?
Have you heard of Chicken Scarpariello? Scarpariello means “shoemaker style” in Italian. This recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sweet Italian Sausage, and pickled sweet hot peppers for an extra kick. The result is a savory meal punched up with a briney, sweet and sour pan sauce that really takes this Italian-American dish up a notch!
How to make Chicken Scarpariello?
To make this Chicken Scarpariello recipe easy enough for a busy weeknight, I opted for boneless, skinless chicken thighs. They cook very quickly, but are more juicy and flavorful than chicken breasts. Chicken Scarpariello is all made in one pan on the stovetop.
Here are the steps to make Chicken Scarpariello. Scroll down for complete recipe, ingredients and notes!
- First, season chicken with salt and pepper, then dust with flour. The flour will help thicken the sauce later, and also helps the chicken get a nice brown crust on it.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Sear the chicken until browned on the outside and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from pan, then brown sausage. When sausage is browned, remove from pan.
- Add onions and bell peppers to the pan, cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add cherry peppers, garlic and oregano. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, scraping up brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer until sauce is reduced by half, about five minutes.
- Add lemon juice and butter, stir until emulsified.
- Return sausage and chicken to the pan, cook for 2-3 more minutes.
What to serve with Chicken Scarpariello?
Serve Chicken Scarpariello over pasta with rustic bread for dipping in the sauce. My Easy Garlic Bread recipe would be great on the side.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 lb Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 8 oz Sweet Italian Sausage ground
- 1 Sweet Onion sliced
- 2 Bell Peppers sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1.5 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 4 Hot Sweet Cherry Peppers or other pickled peppers sliced
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
- When oil is hot, sear the chicken until browned on the outside and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add sausage to pan and brown. When cooked through, remove from pan.
- Add onions and bell pepper to pan, saute 5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the garlic, hot peppers and oregano and cook for 30 seconds, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet and cook over high heat, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and butter and stir until emulsified.
- Return sausage and chicken to the pan, cook for 2-3 more minutes. Transfer the chicken and sauce to the platter and serve.