This creamy and cheesy Baked Crab Artichoke Dip in a Bread Bowl will be a hit on game day! A little Dark Horse Chardonnay in the dip adds a complex flavor for a winning appetizer.
Disclaimer: This post has been sponsored by Dark Horse Wine. All thoughts and opinions are my own. This content is intended for readers who are 21 and over.
I have to admit, when it comes to football—I’m in it for the food. I love going to football watching parties but watching football isn’t the reason. It’s all about the food and drinks! Give me a satisfying appetizer and a nice glass of wine and I’m a happy camper.
Wine is usually my drink of choice when at a party because, well, wine is delicious. And do you know what goes well with wine? Creamy, cheesy crab artichoke dip. Even better, Crab Artichoke Dip Baked in a Bread Bowl. Nothing goes better with cheese and seafood than wine. Which is why I even added some Dark Horse Chardonnay to this crab artichoke dip! The acidity of the wine balances the rich flavors of the dip perfectly.
When throwing a party, I like to have a variety of beverages available for my guests. I always try to have a white and red wine on hand since most people prefer one or the other. Even though I recommend white wine for this cheesy crab dip, I always say the best wine is the one you like! The Dark Horse Cabernet Sauvignon is fruity and smooth and would be great with any grilled meats that might be served at the party as well.
Serving this Crab Artichoke dip in a bread bowl just makes it extra special and kind of a show stopper. I toasted the pieces of bread that were scooped out to make the bread bowl. That way they can be used as dippers and nothing is wasted. I also served extra slices of toasted bread because people are going to keep coming back to this dip!
Baked Crab Artichoke Dip in a Bread Bowl
- 4 green onions chopped, white and green parts separated
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella divided
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce or to taste
- ½ teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat picked over for cartilage
- 1 can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 round boule bread loaf
- 1/4 cup Dark Horse Chardonnay
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the top quarter off of the bread. Use a knife to cut a circle in the center of the bread, then scoop out the middle of the bread. Arrange on a baking sheet, and lay the torn pieces of the bread that you scooped out on the baking sheet as well. Those can be toasted and used to dip. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise, stir together until well mixed.
- Add the wine, old bay seasoning, hot sauce, garlic and white parts of the green onions, stir to combine.
- Add the artichoke hearts and then the shredded cheddar, and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella, Mix until well combined. Fold in the crab meat gently.
- Transfer the dip to the bread bowl. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with green parts of onion. Serve with additional slices of bread and/or crackers for dipping, if desired.