These Crispy Baked Zucchini fries will cure your french fry craving, and you won’t miss the potatoes at all. Panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese make these zucchini fries super flavorful and so crispy that you won’t believe they are baked!
French fries are my weakness. I love them, and I would eat them every day if I could. I wanted to try to make a healthier version of fries at home – baked not fried, and using zucchini instead of potatoes. When trying to lighten up recipes, you never know if you can really get it to taste good, but I decided to give it a shot.
I could not believe how crispy these zucchini fries turned out! The zucchini is crisp tender, and the Parmesan panko coating gives the most satisfying crunch. I added some spices to the breading to make these baked zucchini fries as flavorful as possible.
Ingredients for Zucchini Fries
To make our baked Parmesan zucchini fries, we use these ingredients:
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into sticks.
- flour for dredging – add a little salt to the flour to make sure your zucchini fries are properly seasoned.
- 2 eggs lightly beaten – using the whole egg instead of egg whites will add extra flavor and richness to the recipe.
- panko breadcrumbs – to make them extra crispy.
- parmesan cheese – freshly grated is best!
- salt and spices – paprika, garlic powder, oregano add more flavor!
How to make crispy baked zucchini fries
- Make sure you pat your zucchini dry – dry zucchini will get crispy, wet zucchini will get soggy.
- Set up your breading station. For these zucchini fries we first toss them in flour, then dip in egg, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake in a single layer on a baking sheet to allow air to circulate. If the Zucchini are too close together, they will steam and not get crisp.
- Flip halfway through. this allows the zucchini fries to get crispy on both sides.
What dipping sauce is best with zucchini fries?
I just used good old ketchup, but a garlic aioli, ranch, even BBQ sauce would be great. Use your favorite dipping sauce!
More Zucchini recipes
If you love zucchini, try some of my other zucchini recipes!
Sauteed Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini cut into sticks
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Brush a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
- Cut zucchini into sticks, pat dry with a paper towel. Toss zucchini in flour seasoned 1/4 tsp salt. Shake to remove any excess flour, then dip zucchini in egg.
- Allow excess egg to drip off, then dredge in panko breadcrumb mix.
- Arrange zucchini on an oiled baking sheet bake, making sure the pieces are not touching.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then flip and bake for about 10 more minutes, or until zucchini fries are golden and crispy.
- Season with salt if needed. Best served hot!