This Easy One Pot Sausage and Rice Skillet is all cooked in one pot on the stovetop. You can make this healthy and fast dinner for any busy weeknight, and using only one pot makes cleaning up easy!
This post has been sponsored by al fresco all naturals. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
If you are looking for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner, you came to the right place! This sausage, peppers and rice casserole is full of flavor, uses pantry staples and the best part? It’s all cooked in one pot, so cleaning up can be fast and easy too.
I try to keep my pantry stocked with basics like rice, tomato paste, spices and chicken stock because I use them so often to make quick and healthy meals. And I like to have sausage on hand because I can always make something flavorful for dinner with sausage. I love al fresco fully cooked chicken sausages because they are so convenient, and healthier than pork sausage.
I wanted to make a truly one pot meal – so even the rice cooks in the pot with the chicken sausage, peppers and onions. All the flavors meld together and in 25 minutes you have a satisfying meal that your family will love.
What kind of rice should I use for One Pot Sausage and Rice?
For this sausage and rice casserole I used uncooked white jasmine rice. Some other recipes use quick cooking rice, but that isn’t an ingredient I keep on hand and I wanted to see if regular rice would cook in one pan. And it does! I used white rice instead of brown rice because it takes less time.
Do I need to cook the sausage first?
The al fresco sausage I used is pre cooked. I did brown the sausage in order to build more flavor into the dish. If you are using raw sausage, you should make sure it is cooked through at the browning stage.
More easy weeknight dinners you will love!
Easy One Pot Sausage and Rice Skillet
- 4 al fresco roasted garlic fully cooked chicken sausages sliced
- 2 TBSP Olive oil divided
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked white jasmine rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt more or less to taste
- 1 TBSP fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sausage slices and brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to pan.
- Add onion and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft 5-8 mins.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, spices and kosher salt. Stir to combine, 30-60 seconds.
- Add rice and stir to combine. Pour in chicken stock and return sausages to pan.
- Bring to simmer, then reduce to low heat and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until liquid has evaporated and rice is cooked.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired, serve.