These fresh and easy Salmon Patties are a great way to use leftover salmon. These salmon cakes use a fresh salmon filet instead of canned salmon. Make these crispy and tender salmon patties for dinner tonight!
I’m not sure why I never made salmon patties until recently. By the way, do you call them salmon patties or salmon cakes? I usually call them salmon cakes, but I think salmon patties is the more common term. Anyway, I absolutely LOVE crab cakes but I almost never buy crab. I do, however, often buy salmon, and am always looking for different ways to cook salmon.
Although I love a simple roasted salmon filet, or something with more of a kick like my Chili Lime Baked Salmon or my Sweet Chili Baked Salmon, these salmon patties are just another great way to prepare salmon. You could make these even easier by using leftover cooked salmon, or bake a salmon filet just to make these salmon cakes.
How to make salmon patties:
- Start with cooked salmon. I roast a salmon filet seasoned with salt and pepper and brushed with olive oil. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Once it has cooled off a bit, flake with a fork, removing any bones and skin you may find.
- While the salmon is roasting, saute some onions and bell pepper in olive oil and butter. The mix of olive oil and butter really helps with the overall flavor vs just using olive oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked salmon, onions, bell pepper, panko bread crumbs, mayo, eggs, worcestershire sauce, old bay seasoning and sriracha until combined.
- Form into patties. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add more oil and butter. Cook patties in batches, do not overcrowd the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until golden and crispy. Remove from pan and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
What to serve with Salmon Patties:
These Salmon cakes are wonderful served with a simple side salad. Other vegetable side dishes that would work well with salmon cakes are Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli or Roasted Asparagus. For a starchy side, try mashed potatoes or rice, such as my turmeric rice.
More Salmon Recipes
- 1 lb fresh salmon filet
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1.5 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Place salmon filet on baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Allow to cool, then flake with a fork. Remove any bones or skin you find.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon butter. Saute the onion and bell pepper until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flaked salmon, onion and bell pepper, eggs, panko breadcrumbs, mayo, worcestershire sauce, sriracha and old bay seasoning. Mix until combined.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add 1 more tablespoon each of olive oil and butter. Form the salmon mixture into patties, about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons in size.
- Cook the patties in the skillet 3-4 minutes, until golden and crispy, then flip and repeat. Cook in batches, do not overcrowd the pan. Repeat until all of the patties are cooked.