These Honey Lime Steak Tacos with Avocado Crema are the perfect combination of sweet, spicy and tangy – a flavor explosion!
You guuuyyyysssss. Honey Lime Steak Tacos. With Avocado Crema. Yes, I did. I was inspired to make a steak version of my Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos but then I kind of veered off in another direction and added HONEY. Sweet and spicy and tangy and creamy.
You guys know how I am with my sauces. The sauce is boss. How many more times can I say that before you get annoyed at me? Is it one? Or zero? I’ll try not to say it again. I’m not making any promises, though. But seriously, the sauces. The first time I made these Honey Lime Steak Tacos, I just threw some avocado on top. The tacos were good but we felt that they could be better, and what they were missing was something creamy. Enter the avocado crema.
I have never had or made it before, but I am now officially obsessed. It is so simple, but takes the tacos up to a whole new level of flavor. It is creamy and zingy and I pretty much want to put it on everything now. Mr. Briar maintains that he would be happy to eat tacos filled with just the lime slaw and avocado crema 😂😂😂. But let’s not leave out the steak because everyone gets along so well.
I found that marinating the steak overnight really gives it some extra flavor, but even so, reserving some of the marinade to drizzle over the finished tacos is key. Those sweet and spicy flavors mingle with the smooth and creamy avocado crema and your mouth is like “Whaaaaat is going on???” and then you eat another taco. By the way, if you do whip up the marinade the night before, it make prepping these tacos super fast. The steak only takes 10-15 minutes to cook, and the slaw and avocado crema just take a few minutes. Perfect for weeknights.
Oh yeah, the slaw! I totally just used the same slaw that I use in my Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos, it goes perfectly with these Honey Lime Steak Tacos too. It is a very versatile slaw. I just used a bagged slaw mix that had red and green cabbage as well as carrots, but use what you like. I don’t suggest making the slaw the night before – although you can, it will be less crunchy than the day you make it. So, who’s ready for some tacos? 🙋🙋🙋
Honey Lime Steak Tacos with Avocado Crema
Yield 6 Servings
1 and 1/2 pounds flank steak
cilantro (for garnish, optional)
For Lime Slaw
4 cups sliced cabbage or slaw mix (I used a bagged mix of red and green cabbage with carrots)
1/2 jalapeno, diced (more or less to taste)
1 tablespoon lime juice
pinch of salt
For Honey Lime Marinade
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
zest and juice of one lime
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For Avocado Crema
1 medium avocado
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade and whisk together until honey is completely incorporated. Divide in half, reserving half of the marinade for the finished tacos. Pour the other half over the steak (using a gallon zip top bag makes this easy), and marinate steak overnight or at least for a few hours.
- When ready to cook, line a baking sheet with foil and fit with a rack. Lay steak on top of rack, discard excess marinade. Place the oven rack in the top position so that steak will be directly under the broiler. Turn on broiler and cook for 5-7 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until done. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain
- To prepare the slaw, toss together the cabbage mix, lime juice, salt and jalapeno, set aside until ready to eat.
- To prepare the avocado crema, add the avocado, lime juice, sour cream and salt to a food processor, pulse until creamy.
- Warm the tortillas by spraying with cooking oil and heating in a large skillet, flipping as needed, until starting to brown and crisp on both sides.
- To assemble tacos, fill tortillas with some slaw and steak. Spoon reserved honey lime sauce over filling. Top with avocado crema. Garnish with cilantro (if using, optional) Enjoy!