This Sausage, Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Frittata makes an easy, one pan dinner or breezy brunch. High protein, low carb, gluten-free and easy to make!
This is a sponsored post, written by me on behalf of Fred Meyer. Opinions, as always, are all my own! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Fox and Briar! For more information, see my disclosure policy.
I go through breakfast phases. Sometimes I drink smoothies for days. Weekends are for waffles or sweet potato hash. But I always find myself returning to eggs. Whether it is my quick and easy make ahead egg muffins or this caramelized onion and kale frittata that I shared last year. Frittatas aren’t just for breakfast though. They make a great addition to brunch, and even make an easy, light dinner. One night I had no clue what I was going to make. I opened the fridge and my eyes landed on a carton of eggs and a package of sausage that I needed to use. Perfect.
Eggs are a staple in my house, but one thing I have always been concerned about is making sure that I buy cage free eggs. When I was in college and learned that most hens in commercial egg farms are kept in tiny cages and not allowed to move around, I decided that I would use my money as my vote and buy eggs from companies that allowed their hens to move around and engage in natural behaviors. Not only is it better for the chickens, but I really think it makes the eggs better, plus I feel better about supporting a farm that is in line with my values. Luckily these days it is getting easier and easier to find eggs from cage free hens. My local Fred Meyer carries the Kroger Co. Family of Stores Cage Free Eggs, which means that I can always find them.
This Sausage, Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Frittata makes a great breakfast, brunch or dinner.
Feeling good about where my eggs came from, I whipped up this frittata and served it with a green salad for dinner. I kept the leftovers in the fridge and ate it for breakfast and lunch during the week. Sometimes a simple meal is the best!
You may also like…
|Sausage, Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Frittata|| |
- 8 eggs (I used Kroger Co. Family of Stores Cage Free Eggs)
- ½ cup milk
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre), crumbled
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 sausage links, cut crossways into coins (I used precooked chicken sausage)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whisk together the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper, then whisk in the goat cheese. Set aside.
- Heat an oven proof skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Saute until starting to soften, about five minutes
- Add the sausage and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Brush the sides of the pan with olive oil, then pour in the egg mixture. Allow the eggs to cook on the stovetop until the edges start to set and pull away from the pan, about 5 minutes, then transfer to the oven.
- Keep a close eye on the frittata, bake until just set, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer frittata to a cutting board, allow to sit for a few minutes. Cut and serve.
If you make this recipe don’t forget to tag it @foxandbriar and #foxandbriar on instagram and facebook! I really love to see what you make and you may be featured in our weekly Reader Feature!