This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Sesame Carrot and Cucumber Slaw is a cool and crisp side dish perfect for hot weather! It takes about 15 minutes to make, and is vegan and gluten free!
There are times when turning on the oven is a no-go. Sometimes you just need some “no cook” foods. In fact I have a whole pinterest board dedicated to food for hot weather. That was born when I lived in Arizona and the majority of the year was unbearably hot. But even in the mild PNW, we have days or weeks that are uncomfortably hot. Enter this Sesame Carrot and Cucumber Slaw. Cool, crisp cucumbers, a refreshing dressing and most importantly, absolutely NO cooking.
I actually used a little trick to easily slice the cucumber into very thin strips – I used my spiralizer! That is right, spiralizers aren’t just for zoodles! I used the flat blade instead of the “zoodle” blade. Um, is that the technical name for it? Anyway, the flat blade or straight blade is the one to use for this application. I peeled the cucumber, but left alternating green stripes just because it is pretty. Then I cut each cucumber in half because that makes the spiralizing more manageable. The center core of the spiralizer removes the watery seeds in the middle, and it was so fast and easy! But if you haven’t gotten your hands on a spiralizer yet, use a mandolin to slice the cucumber very thin. Or if you have great knife skills, you can just use a knife, and I will be really impressed.
This Sesame Carrot and Cucumber slaw couldn’t be easier.
I would have liked to spiralize the carrots, but they are just not the right size for it. So I grated them instead. Then just salt the cucumber and let it sit in a colander for about 15 minutes, which will allow the cucumber to release some moisture. After the time is up, rinse the salt and dry the cucumber between paper towels. Then whisk together the sauce and toss everything together. Easy, peasy and before you know it, you have a cool and fresh dish without ever turning on your oven.
If you like this you may also like…
Sesame Carrot and Cucumber Slaw
- 1 pound cucumber about two medium cucumbers*
- 2-3 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce**
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste***
- kosher salt
- Peel the cucumber leaving alternating green stripes. Cut each cucumber in half and use a spiralizer fitted with the flat blade to slice into thin strips. Or, slice thin with a mandolin or knife.
- Season liberally with salt and place in a colander for 15 minutes to drain. After 15 minutes, rinse salt off and dry cucumbers between paper towels to remove extra moisture.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar and red pepper flakes.
- Add the cucumber, grated carrot and sesame seeds, toss to fully coat.
- Taste and season with more salt if desired.
** Be sure to use gluten free soy sauce for gluten free!
*** I prefer more spice, but start with less and add more to taste.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Disclaimer: I partnered Fred Meyer for this recipe, however, my opinions, as always, are 100% my own. Integrity is important to me, and I only share brands and products that I think are awesome. Thank you for supporting Fox and Briar!