7 Layer dip is a popular party appetizer with – you guessed it – 7 layers of delicious dips and flavors. Beans, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, cheese, olives and green onions combined to make a flavor packed party dip perfect for game day or any other party!
What are the ingredients for 7 layer dip?
Most often, the ingredients for 7 layer dip are refried beans, sour cream, taco seasoning, guacamole, salsa, cheddar cheese, black olives and green onions. Some variations of 7 layer dip include ground beef, cream cheese, chicken, lettuce and tomatoes.
Tips for making the BEST 7 layer dip:
- Use Thick and Chunky salsa and drain the salsa in a fine mesh sieve before layering it into the dip. This drains off excess liquid that would make the dip watery.
- Use homemade taco seasoning for the best flavor! It only takes a few minutes and has so much more flavor than a packet.
- Use my Super Easy 4 ingredient guacamole for the best and easiest guacamole. Again, this recipe is incredibly fast and easy and the flavor will take your 7 layer dip to the next level.
- Make 7 layer dip the day it is served. Although this bean dip can be made ahead of time, it tastes and looks the best the day it is made!
Is 7 layer dip hot or cold
7 layer dip is served cold or room temperature. Because of the dairy it is best kept refrigerated before serving.
How long can you keep 7 layer dip
7 layer dip will keep 3-4 days in the fridge, however it tastes and looks best when served the same day it is made.
How to make 7 layer dip
- Drain salsa in a fine mesh sieve for about 15 minutes before assembling the dip. This allows the excess liquid to drain off that might make the dip watery.
- Stir together taco seasoning with sour cream.
- Make Super Easy Guacamole.
- Layer ingredients in the following order:
What order should I layer the ingredients for 7 layer dip?
- Refried beans
- Sour cream mixture
- Green onions
- Optional – chopped cilantro.
Does guacamole turn brown in 7 layer dip
Guacamole turns brown when it is exposed to air. Because the guacamole in this dip is covered with the rest of the dip, it should not turn brown as quickly.
What is the best dish to serve 7 layer dip in?
A glass 9×13 pan is the best dish to serve this seven layer dip in. It is wide and shallow so it allows people to get all of the layers in one bite. It is large enough to accommodate all of the layers without making a big mess when people serve themselves some dip. Because it is glass, you can see the layers, which makes it prettier.
If you would prefer to serve individual servings of 7 layer dip, individual clear plastic or glass cups can be used instead.
What to serve with 7 layer dip
Be sure to serve tortilla chips with seven layer dip. You can also serve cut up vegetables, pretzels, crackers, toasted bread or bagel chips on the side for dipping options.
- 16 ounces refried beans 1 can
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 1.5 cups guacamole (see recipe below)
- 1.5 cups thick and chunky salsa drained
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese Grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Tortilla chips for serving
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove finely minced or pressed
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Drain the salsa in a fine mesh sieve to remove excess liquid
- Stir together taco seasoning, whisk taco seasoning into sour cream until combined.
- Make guacamole: Mash avocados with other guacamole ingredients until combined.
- Layer the ingredients in the following order: 1. Beans2. Sour Cream mixture3. Guacamole4. Salsa5. Cheese6. Olives7. Green Onions8. Cilantro (optional)
- Serve right away with tortilla chips for dipping.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!