This Magical Color Changing Margarita is all – natural – no food dye! A secret, natural ingredient makes this margarita turn from blue to purplish pink right before your eyes! Make this fun and unique margarita for Cinco De Mayo!
Hellooooo, Magical Color Changing Margarita – can you believe that these colors are totally natural? How is it possible to get this vibrant blue and purple without any food dye? The secret to natural blue coloring is: Butterfly Pea Flower!
What is Butterfly Pea Flower?
Butterfly Pea Flower is a flower grown in Asia, including Myanmar, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines. The dried flower is used as a natural food dye, and often used to make tea. When mixed with acidic ingredients such as lemon, the liquid will turn from blue to purple. Not sure where to buy butterfly pea flowers? You can find them online – like these Dried Butterfly Pea Flowers.
I first saw the magic of butterfly pea flower when my friend Dini of The Flavor Bender shared her Galaxy Lemonade a few years ago. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and soon I started seeing similar ideas popping up everywhere. Color changing cocktails are all the rage right now, and with Cinco De Mayo coming up, why not make a color changing margarita?
This is a real margarita – no margarita mix here! You can even make this a “skinny margarita” if you leave out the simple syrup. Some people prefer the tart, fresh flavor of a simple margarita without any sweetener. But if you like a sweeter drink, you can add a little simple syrup.
If you like this recipe, you will also love:
Magical Color Changing Margarita
- 2 oz Butterfly Pea Flower Infused Tequila see recipe below
- 1 oz lime juice
- .75 oz triple sec
- .5 oz simple syrup optional, for a sweeter drink
For Butterfly Pea Infused Tequila
- 1 cup Silver Tequila
- 8 Butterfly Pea Flowers dried
Make Butterfly Pea Infused Tequila
- To make Butterfly Pea Flower infused Tequila, add the tequila and butterfly pea flowers for a jar with a tight fitting lid. Allow to soak for 2-3 hours or overnight. Strain out flowers and keep in a sealed container. Batch will make 4 drinks.
To make color changing margarita
- Run a slice of lime around the rim of the glass, dip in salt (optional). Fill the glass with ice, add the butterfly pea infused tequila.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the lime juice, triple sec, and simple syrup if using. Shake until combined and chilled. Slowly pour into the glass, and watch the magic happen! Drink will turn from blue to purple. Stir to fully combine before drinking. Garnish with a lime if desired.
I created this margarita as part of #margaritaweek with Kate Ramos from ¡Hola! Jalapeño. Be sure to check out the rest of the amazing margaritas over there!