This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The marinade for this Asian Grilled Flank Steak is unbelievably good! This easy flank steak recipe takes just a few minutes to prepare. After marinating, it only takes about fifteen minutes to grill a juicy and tender flank steak for dinner!
Flank steak is one of my go to cuts of beef for a quick dinner. Because it is a lean cut of beef, it benefits from quick cooking. A marinade will help make the meat tender, while making it super flavorful as well. If you plan ahead and marinate this Asian Flank Steak the night before, you will be rewarded with tender, juicy steak that can grilled or cooked in the oven.
What is flank steak?
Flank Steak comes from the belly or lower chest of the cow. It is very flavorful but also very lean. That is why flank steak benefits from a marinade to help keep it tender. It is also best when cooked quickly, so grilling over high heat is best for this type of meat. It is also best to cut flank steak against the grain to help keep it tender.
What does cut against the grain mean?
Are you confused about what “against the grain” means when cutting flank steak? I used to be too, but it is really simple. When you look at a flank steak, you will notice the muscle fibers running from the top to the bottom.You want to cut across these – perpendicular – rather than along them. So after the pieces are cut, you want short fibers rather than long stringy fibers. Cutting against the grain will make all the difference when eating your flank steak!
can you make flank steak in the oven?
Yes, you can! Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. If you have one, fit the baking sheet with a cooling rack so that air can circulate around the steak. Then place under a broiler for 4-5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 4-5 minutes. If you have one, you can finish the flank steak in a grill pan to get more browning and grill marks, 1-2 minutes per side on high heat.
the best marinade for flank steak
I have been making this Asian style flank steak marinade for years! It is packed with flavor, and uses staples I keep in my pantry. I find this tastes the BEST if it is marinated overnight, but you can also let it marinate for just a few hours if you are short on time.
For this Asian flank steak marinade we use Soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil and chili garlic sauce. You can also use red pepper flakes if you don’t have chili garlic sauce, or sriracha.
What can I serve with Flank Steak?
Looking for more flank steak recipes? Try these:
Asian Grilled Flank Steak
- 1 flank steak 2-3 lbs
To Prepare The Marinade:
- Whisk together ingredients for marinade, pour over steak in a shallow dish or zip top bag. Allow to marinate for several hours or overnight (the longer, the better).
- For Gas Grill: Turn all burners on high and close the lid, allowing grill to warm up for about 5 minutes. Clean grates. Place flank steak in the front and center of the grill. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then flip. Continue flipping every 1-2 minutes, until done, about 10 minutes total cooking time.
- For Charcoal Grill: Light charcoal, allow to burn until covered in white ash, then spread the coals in an even layer. Clean grates. Place flank steak over hot coals. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then flip. Continue flipping every 1-2 minutes, until done, about 10 minutes total cooking time.
- Place oven rack on highest position and turn on broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and fit with a cooling rack if possible. Place steak on baking sheet and place under the broiler for about 4 minutes, until starting to brown. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes, or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Optional: For extra browning and grill marks, sear in a grill pan over high heat, 1-2 minutes per side.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.