This Easy Chicken Shawarma recipe is oven roasted and packed with flavor for an easy weeknight dinner!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!
Hello friends! I’m so excited to bring you this recipe for chicken shawarma today! I’m sharing this recipe from my friend Samantha’s new cookbook, The Weeknight Mediterranean Kitchen. Sam blogs over at Little Ferraro Kitchen where she shares easy world cuisine. In The Weeknight Mediterranean Kitchen, she shares 80 authentic, healthy and easy recipes that can be made even on the busiest of weeknights. Want a copy for yourself? I’m giving one away right now over on Instagram!
When I received this cookbook, I flipped through the pages trying to decide what to make first. I considered the One-Pot Paprika Chicken with Olives and Orzo, the Shaksuka with Lamb and Spices, and the Jeweled Tabbouleh Salad before ultimately deciding on this Everyday Chicken Shawarma recipe.
What is Shawarma?
You may be asking, what is shawarma? Shawarma is traditionally thin cuts of meat, stacked into a cone and roasted on a vertical spit. It is then shaved off and served on a plate or in a sandwich or wrap.
What do you put in Chicken Shawarma?
Chicken Shawarma can be marinated in a variety of spices and aromatics, but this one uses garlic, lemon, Aleppo pepper, sumac, cinnamon, allspice, turmeric, cumin and paprika.
What is the difference between a gyro and shawarma?
Although both a gyro and shawarma are slices of meat packed together and roasted on a vertical spit. A gyro is usually made of beef and lamb, then topped with tzatziki, tomato and onion and wrapped in a pita. Shawarma is a similar dish, but there are more variations in the preperation. If can be almost any kind of meat, and the spices vary depending on the recipe.
This recipe is a perfect weeknight meal. The chicken can marinate in about 20 minutes, then roasts on a sheet pan. Cover the pan in foil for easy cleanup.
What should you serve with chicken shawarma?
You can serve chicken shawarma with:
- sliced tomatoes and cucumbers
- fresh herbs
- pita bread
- plain Greek yogurt or try this Mint Yogurt Sauce
- try this Turmeric Rice on the side!
Easy Chicken Shawarma
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken thighs with the oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, Aleppo pepper, allspice, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and salt, stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes and up to an hour, the longer the better.
- Transfer chicken to foil lined baking sheet. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. For extra crispy edges, increase the heat to 425°F and continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it. Then cut the chicken into slices.
- Serve with pita bread, tahini sauce or yogurt sauce, chopped salad, fresh herbs and lemon.