This lemon butter baked tilapia is a easy and healthy weeknight dinner recipe! Super fast prep and less than 15 minutes of cooking time means you can have dinner on the table in about 20 minutes. Make this healthy fish dinner tonight!
Healthy Baked Tilapia Recipe
When looking for easy and healthy dinners, I often turn to fish recipes. Fish is usually pretty easy to prepare and cook, and also is a healthy option. Fish generally is a good source of protein and sometimes healthy fats as well. Tilapia is a leaner fish, so is a great source of protein for fewer calories than some other sources.
What is Tilapia?
Tilapia is a mild white fish, which has become popular because it is mild tasting, easy to farm and is a great source of protein. It is also low in fat and calories. A 3 ounce serving of Tilapia has 20 grams of protein and only 2.5 grams of fat and 110 calories! However, recent studies have shown that it is important to be aware of where your tilapia comes from. You can check the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch to see where the best places are to get your Tilapia from.
Oven Baked Tilapia
I love this Lemon Butter Baked Tilapia because it is so fast and easy but packed with flavor! Tilapia is a mild white fish, so it needs a little help in the flavor department. Butter, garlic and lemon to the rescue! Lemon butter is a classic flavor for fish, and it works perfectly here along with garlic, parsley and a hint of red pepper. I punched up the lemon flavor with both lemon juice and zest, along with lemon slices. A simple sauce of lemon, butter and garlic takes just minutes to put together. Then the tilapia filets are bathed in the buttery lemon sauce and quickly baked in the oven.
How Long to bake Tilapia in the oven
Tilapia cooks very quickly in the oven. Lemon Butter Baked Tilapia will cook in about 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees. I like to finish this tilapia recipe under the broiler to give it a little color. You know the fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork or reaches 145 degrees internal temperature.
What to serve with Lemon Butter Baked Tilapia?
Lemon Butter Baked TilapiaPrint Pin Rate
- 4 Tilapia Fillets
- 4 TBSP Butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 TBSP parsley chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the tilapia in a baking dish in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Zest and juice one lemon, and thinly slice the other lemon.
- Melt the butter, then stir in the garlic, parsley, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and juice. Stir to combine.
- Pour over the tilapia, then use a brush to make sure the lemon butter mixture it fully coating the fish. Arrange lemon slices on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then finish under the broiler for 2 minutes. Fish is done when it easily flakes with a fork.