These Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are a delicious low carb dinner! A savory sausage tomato sauce topped with gooey, melty cheese on top of an umami portobello mushroom! Make this portobello mushroom recipe for dinner tonight!
Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Ahhh, you guys. These Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are my new favorite thing, I’m not even kidding. Portobello mushrooms make a great low carb dinner base. You know I love using vegetables as a carb replacer like with THESE bell peppers or THESE bell peppers or ALL the spaghetti squash. PS, spell check is telling me that “carb replacer” isn’t a thing? Um, I have to disagree, carb replacer is TOTALLY a thing, and these Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are totally one of them. Those? Anyhoo.
Is it “portobello” or “Portabella”?
Apparently they are both used and considered correct. So, use whichever one you like. Whether you are looking for portobello mushroom recipes or portobella mushroom recipes, you need to try these.
How do you make Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms?
First you make a delicious, savory, lip smacking sausage marinara sauce. Then you fill some beautiful portobello mushroom caps with said sausage marinara. Finally, you top with lots of mozzarella. Pop them in the oven until they get golden brown and bubbly.
The best Sausage Stuffed Portobello mushroom recipe!
Word to the wise, this makes a TON of sauce. Like enough for 8 mushrooms. As much as I love them, that would be 4 meals for me and the mister. So I usually make 4 mushrooms, which we have for dinner and lunch the next day. Then I save half the sauce for another dinner. Hello! This is a multi tasking recipe! You can even meal prep! Or you can make 8 mushrooms, maybe you have 8 hungry kids that love mushrooms, I don’t know. Either way, you have some delicious, savory, cheesy, sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms in your future.
Looking for more portobello mushroom recipes? Check these out!
Check out the video below to see me go through this recipe.
Sausage Stuffed portobello Mushrooms
- 8 Portobello mushrooms stems and gills removed
- 1 pound hot Italian Sausage ground
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes 1 can
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese grated
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- fresh basil for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Clean mushroom caps: Remove stems from mushrooms and use a spoon to scrape out the gills. Arrange mushroom caps on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, brown the sausage. Remove from pan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, add the onions and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper. Saute until they have released their water and water has evaporated, and they are soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add the garlic and oregano, saute for 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes. Add the sausage back into the pan, stir. Simmer for at least 20 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Spoon sausage mixture into the mushrooms, top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are tender. Finish under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown cheese, if desired.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil if desired.