This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Upgrade the classic Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel Topping. Sweet potatoes whipped with butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon are topped with a crunchy pecan streusel scented with cinnamon.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel
No marshmallows here! We are changing up the traditional Sweet Potato Casserole just a bit by replacing the marshmallow topping with a brown sugar pecan topping that gives it a little crunch.
Not so sweet
Although this sweet potato casserole is still sweet, we replaced the sugar in the filling with maple syrup and added some salt and spices to balance the flavor. The pecan streusel topping is scented with cinnamon and you won’t miss the marshmallows at all!
How to make Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel
- Cook the Sweet Potatoes: First peel and cube sweet potatoes. You will need 3-4 sweet potatoes, about 1 and 3/4 pounds. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes, then bring the pot back to a boil. After the water returns to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are very tender. You should be able to easily pierce them with a knife. Drain the sweet potatoes and allow them to cool a bit.
- Make the Filling: Combine the sweet potatoes, milk, eggs, butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Mash by hand or use a hand mixer to whip the sweet potatoes with the other ingredients. Transfer to a buttered casserole dish and spread into an even layer.
- Make the Streusel Topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, salt and pecans in a medium bowl. Stir together until moist – topping should resemble the texture of wet sand. Sprinkle the topping over the top of the sweet potatoes
- Bake: Bake in an oven at 350 degrees F until center is mostly set and top is golden.
Can you make Sweet Potato Casserole ahead of time?
Yes, Sweet Potato Casserole can be made 1-2 days ahead of time. Prepare the sweet potato filling as instructed and transfer to casserole dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake. You can also make the pecan streusel topping ahead of time, but keep it sealed in a separate container and don’t sprinkle it over the top of the sweet potatoes until ready to bake.
How to Store Sweet Potato Casserole
Cool completely before covering. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to reheat Sweet Potato Casserole
Cover with foil and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Fresh Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Mushroom and Leek Stuffing
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel
For the Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 to 4 large sweet potatoes about 1 3/4 pounds, peeled and cubed
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter melted, plus more for buttering the baking dish
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Pecan Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and cool slightly, then mash.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, or a whisk, mix together the mashed sweet potatoes, butter, eggs, milk, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- In a medium bowl, Add the brown sugar, pecans, flour, melted butter, cinnamon and salt. Stir together until moist. Topping should be the consistency of wet sand. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until mostly set in the center and the top is golden brown.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase the items I recommend through the links I provide, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, please see my disclosure policy. Thanks for supporting Fox and Briar!