This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Israeli Couscous Salad is a light and fresh side dish for summer! Bright flavors of lemon and herbs, along with cucumber, tomato and onion mixed with pearl couscous tastes delicious on its own as a light lunch or as a side dish for grilled meats at a BBQ or potluck.
What is Israeli CousCous?
Have you tried Israeli Couscous? It is also called Pearl Couscous, Giant Couscous or maftoul. Even though it looks like a grain, couscous is actually a type of pasta. It is larger than traditional couscous, which gives it a nice chewy texture. But it cooks very quickly, making it very convenient!
Israeli couscous makes a great base for a fresh summer salad to serve at picnics, BBQs and potlucks! Couscous can be made ahead of time, and it can be served cold. This couscous recipe is so simple and easy, it takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish, and can be made ahead of time.
Pearl Couscous Recipe
I originally made this Pearl Couscous Salad as a side dish to my Oven Baked Greek Chicken. The flavors go so well with most Mediterranean or middle eastern dishes. I also love that this couscous salad can be made ahead of time. In fact, it is even better after it has had some time for the flavors to meld! Keep it in the fridge before serving – this Isreali Couscous Salad is great cold or room temperature.
I like to use the less watery versions of produce in this salad – heirloom tomatoes and Persian or English seedless cucumbers. That way you get all flavor and the salad doesn’t get watered down.
This Pearl Couscous salad is accidentally vegan, just packed with fresh flavor from lemon, red wine vinegar and fresh herbs. Like all recipes with simple ingredients, the higher quality your ingredients are, the better this will taste.
Israeli Couscous Salad
For The Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
For The Salad:
- 1 ⅓ cups couscous uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cucumber persian or english, sliced into half moons
- 1 heirloom tomato diced
- 1/2 medium red onion sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Whisk together ingredients for dressing, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When oil is hot, add the couscous and sauté for several minutes, until starting to turn golden.
- Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, then transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- When couscous is cool, add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and dressing, stir to mix. Stir in fresh parsley. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Did you make these! Don’t forget to leave a review and rate the recipe! Take a photo and tag me @foxandbriar and use the hashtag #foxandbriar on Instagram so I can see what you make!