These Shallot White Cheddar Burgers use shallots to flavor the burger, and are topped with white cheddar and a garlic aioli for a flavor bomb gourmet burger!
You guys, it’s the most wonderful time of the year. Grilling season. Actually, to be honest, it is always grilling season in my family. Grilling is a way of life. The ability to grill is usually a major factor in choosing a place to live, and we have strong feelings about it. I bought my first Weber in college – a little Smokey Joe since that was all I could afford. It served me well throughout my twenties until Mr. Briar and I moved to Arizona where we bought a full-sized Weber. While living there we learned how to grill almost everything since you don’t want to turn your oven on when it is hot AKA 8 months out of the year.
I plan on starting a grilling basics series this summer, but I wanted first to share my current favorite burger. I’ve mentioned before that I love shallots. They really do have a much more complex flavor than onions. And I love the flavor they give this burger. Without using a ton of ingredients, you can really improve the flavor of your burger. I like to add white cheddar on top, and then whisk together a quick garlic aioli. I also find that some peppery arugula is a nice addition.
When Fred Meyer asked me to come up with a burger for National Hamburger Day, I knew this would be the one! It is pretty simple to put together, doesn’t have a million ingredients, but I really think it qualifies as a gourmet burger. I like to grab some kaiser rolls from the bakery department to use as buns, and of course I like to toast them on the grill a just before serving. I just read that 9% of Americans don’t like to grill their burger buns, which, what!?! I mean ok, to each their own I guess. But that 9% are missing out. How do you feel about bun toasting?
These burgers would be just as comfortable at a casual weeknight dinner for the family as they would a big holiday BBQ. You can even make the patties and aioli ahead of time, and then they come together in a snap. Serve with some chips or salad and some cold drinks and your guests will be happy little campers.
Other things to grill…
Shallot White Cheddar Burger with Arugula and Garlic Aioli
For The Burgers:
- 1 pound ground beef 80/20 holds up best on the grill
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 slices of white cheddar cheese I like Tillamook
- 4 kaiser rolls optional
For The Garlic Aioli:
- 1/4 cup high quality real mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
To Make The Aioli:
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon juice. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.
To Make The Burgers:
- Mix together ground beef, shallots, salt and pepper, then form into four patties. Grill on the hot side of the grill, about 5 minutes. Be patient and don't move the patty around of press on it. Flip the burgers and top each one with a cheese slice. Continue to grill for about 3 more minutes, or until done. If desired, slice the kaiser rolls and toast them cut side down in the grill, for 30 seconds to one minute or until golden.
To Finish The Burgers:
- Place burger patty on the bottom half of the bun, top with a handful of arugula, spread aioli on the cut half of the top bun and put on top of the burger.
Disclaimer: I partnered Fred Meyer for this recipe, however, my opinions, as always, are 100% my own. Integrity is important to me, and I only share brands and products that I think are awesome. Thank you for supporting Fox and Briar!