These Shallot White Cheddar Burgers use shallots to flavor the burger, and are topped with white cheddar and a garlic aioli for a flavor bomb gourmet burger!
You guys, it’s the most wonderful time of the year. Grilling season. Actually, to be honest, it is always grilling season in my family. Grilling is a way of life. The ability to grill is usually a major factor in choosing a place to live, and we have strong feelings about it. I bought my first Weber in college – a little Smokey Joe since that was all I could afford. It served me well throughout my twenties until Mr. Briar and I moved to Arizona where we bought a full-sized Weber. While living there we learned how to grill almost everything since you don’t want to turn your oven on when it is hot AKA 8 months out of the year.
I plan on starting a grilling basics series this summer, but I wanted first to share my current favorite burger. I’ve mentioned before that I love shallots. They really do have a much more complex flavor than onions. And I love the flavor they give this burger. Without using a ton of ingredients, you can really improve the flavor of your burger. I like to add white cheddar on top, and then whisk together a quick garlic aioli. I also find that some peppery arugula is a nice addition.
When Fred Meyer asked me to come up with a burger for National Hamburger Day, I knew this would be the one! It is pretty simple to put together, doesn’t have a million ingredients, but I really think it qualifies as a gourmet burger. I like to grab some kaiser rolls from the bakery department to use as buns, and of course I like to toast them on the grill a just before serving. I just read that 9% of Americans don’t like to grill their burger buns, which, what!?! I mean ok, to each their own I guess. But that 9% are missing out. How do you feel about bun toasting?
These burgers would be just as comfortable at a casual weeknight dinner for the family as they would a big holiday BBQ. You can even make the patties and aioli ahead of time, and then they come together in a snap. Serve with some chips or salad and some cold drinks and your guests will be happy little campers.
Other things to grill…
|Shallot White Cheddar Burger with Arugula and Garlic Aioli|| |
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 holds up best on the grill)
- ¼ cup finely diced shallot
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 slices of white cheddar cheese (I like Tillamook)
- 4 kaiser rolls (optional)
- ¼ cup high quality real mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon juice. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mix together ground beef, shallots, salt and pepper, then form into four patties. Grill on the hot side of the grill, about 5 minutes. Be patient and don't move the patty around of press on it. Flip the burgers and top each one with a cheese slice. Continue to grill for about 3 more minutes, or until done. If desired, slice the kaiser rolls and toast them cut side down in the grill, for 30 seconds to one minute or until golden.
- Place burger patty on the bottom half of the bun, top with a handful of arugula, spread aioli on the cut half of the top bun and put on top of the burger.
If you make this recipe don’t forget to tag it @foxandbriar and #foxandbriar on instagram and facebook! I really love to see what you make and you may be featured in our weekly Reader Feature!
Disclaimer: I partnered Fred Meyer for this recipe, however, my opinions, as always, are 100% my own. Integrity is important to me, and I only share brands and products that I think are awesome. Thank you for supporting Fox and Briar!