Try this Easy Taco Soup Recipe for a quick and hearty weeknight dinner! Using ground beef, beans, corn and homemade taco seasoning, this recipe is delicious and fast!
What is taco soup?
Taco Soup is just what it sounds like. It is a soup made up of ingredients you might commonly find in a taco – ground beef, onions, tomatoes, beans, corn and chilies. It is seasoned with similar seasonings used in taco meat as well.
Taco soup is similar to chili, but what really makes it extra delicious is the garnishes! I love to load up this soup with tortilla strips – or regular tortilla chips will work too – avocado, cheese, lime juice, cilantro, chopped onion and sour cream. Whatever you like to put on tacos – put it on this soup!
What I love about this soup is it is made almost entirely with pantry and freezer staples. This is a great dinner for nights you aren’t sure what to make and you haven’t been grocery shopping for awhile. I keep most of these ingredients on hand at all times, so I can throw together this recipe without having to plan ahead.
ingredients for taco soup
- ground beef
- tomato paste
- Diced tomatoes
- diced green chilies
- chicken stock
- black beans
- kidney beans
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes
- onion powder
- garlic powder
How to make taco soup
Add tomato paste and garlic, stir until combined and fragrant.
Add beef, cook until browned. Drain excess fat.
Stir in salt and spices, stir until combined.
Add tomatoes, chilies, beans, corn, chicken broth, stir to mix.
Simmer 20-30 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Don’t forget the garnishes! Garnish with tortilla strips or chips and your favorite taco toppings such as avocado, cheese, lime juice, cilantro and sour cream.
Is Taco Soup Healthy?
This Taco Soup is loaded with fiber and protein, which makes it a filling and satisfying meal. It is also a great source of iron! You can control the extra calories based on how you garnish the soup.
Eating soup is a great way to feel full and satisfied without eating too many calories. You can also make this taco soup healthier by using ground turkey instead of beef.
Want more soup recipes? Try my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup, Creamy Sausage and Tortellini Soup or Vegan Red Lentil Soup!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz) cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- tortilla strips
- cheddar cheese grated
- sour cream
- lime juice
- chopped onion
- Heat olive oil over medium heat,
- Add onions and season lightly with salt. Sauté onions until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and garlic, stir until combined and fragrant.
- Add beef, cook until browned. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in salt and spices, stir until combined.
- Add tomatoes, chilies, beans, corn, chicken broth, stir to mix.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes. Serve and garnish with optional garnishes.
So easy and so good. I liked that I already had most of the ingredients in my freezer and pantry already. Tasted even better the next day for lunch. Thank you
I’m so glad you loved it!
Do you think this recipe would work well in a slow cooker?
Hi Catherine – I haven’t tried it so I can’t be sure! But I think it would be fine.
This is a great recipe. I make the soup for my family. We all love it
So glad to hear that!